LegacyGT.com

Taking off Crankshaft pulley?

Hey Guys I'm in a bit of a predicament. I'm attempting to replace the water pump, timing belt etc on an EJ25 out of a 98 Lgt. The only thing is I can't seem to break crankshaft pullet free. If it were in the car I'd just leave it in park and blast away with the impact gun but it's curently out of the car. I did a little research and found this tool

http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1/page_35561_609/kent_moore_spx_499977000_crank_pulley_wrench_subar.html

now I don't mind purchasing it if I need it but I was wondering if anybody has a cheaper way of doing it. I know it looks like a simple tool but I just don't have the ability to recreate one so that idea is already out the window.

What I usually do...

Undo two of the flywheel bolts across from one another and stick a large screwdriver, metal rod through the accesplate and in between the bolts and crank away..

Works like a charm everytime!

Slammed more than your girlfriend.

• 5 months later...

Following this thread, I put a stainless steel bolt through the flywheel inspection hole and cranked away on the pulley. The bolt was about 5" long and only had about 1" showing before I started wrenching. It felt secure in there. Once I started wrenching, I thought the bolt was starting to give, but it turns out the bolt I stuck in there was giving. Now, It's stuck in the inspection hole and I can't pull it back out. It seems like it's bent & stuck in there. It seems I'm in deep doo-doo.

The only thing I can think to do is pull the whole engine out & take the transmission off. That's way beyond my experience level, so I'll have to marshal some help from a few buddies.

Any suggestions?

You will need: Massive screw driver. Access hole in the bell housing. Hole in the flex plate.

Insert screwdriver through the holes in the flex plate, and the bellhousing. Done.

If it's a manual, put a bolt inbetween the bell housing and the teeth on the flywheel. Done.

A pulley remover is the safest way and it only cost about 14 bucks.

They cost like $60-$100 for some f***ed up un-known reason. That's straight from subaru japan though, never seen an aftermarket on...

Large screwdriver through the bell housing access port worked great. Once I got the bolt out, I tapped on the pulley with a hammer and pit came right out. The only issue was holding the pulley in place to break the bolt.

I'm going to try a strap wrench to get the camshaft pulleys off.

Archived