LegacyGT.com

Power Steering Loss at Startup

Mark34

After searching for a while, I didn't see anything similar to this, so I'm looking for some ideas.

Car: '07 LGT

Problem:

Since it has gotten cold out, when I start the car up and try to drive after letting it warm for a couple minutes, the steering is almost impossible, indicating no power steering. I manage to eventually get the wheel turned and after accomplishing this then the wheels will turn like normal.

Other notes: In the summer I had to replace to the P/S belt due to wear and sometimes the belt would squeal at start up. Tightened it up a little and that went away. The P/S resevoir level is at the Cold Min line and haven't noticed any leaking. Car also has Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings.

Is it possible there could be contamination in the lines? I was looking for a flush and fill procedure but didn't find one.

I will try the clamp replacement suggestions and system bleed by turning wheels by hand while up on the lift when I can get some garage time.

Thanks.

I just was at the shop today looking into my powersteering woes... It turns out that my steering rack is leaking into the boots... The cold weather brought on the problems... maybe the 5yrs/98K miles, too! But the leaking seals are filling up the boots (hence the lost fluid with no signs of leaking). We made a pin hole in the boot and there was the missing fluid.... The boots suposedly can hide a lot of fluids! I'm going to get a new rack at some point, but my mechanic says I'll be fine for a bit as long as I keep the fluid levels up!

does the PS return immediately when the wheel is turned even if the car has just been started or do you need some heat in the system?

if you can get a helper to watch the reservoir when you first start up the car and turn the wheel you can probably narrow down the prob. try to see if there is circulation through the reservoir. if there isn't there's probably water in the system that is freezing and causing the pressure relieve valve to open in the pump. if there is circulation (and steering assist comes back without heat), there might be a small hole in the suction line allowing air into the pump. the fluid should be a bit foamy at first if this is the case.

an old acura I have did the same thing when one of the fittings on the suction side got a pin hole from rust. air got into the line so there was no assist till you jiggled the wheel a bit and the pump primed.

Archived