LegacyGT.com

engine question

I have a 97 Legacy rallyx car and it has a ej22. I have to replace the motor this year or rebuild it. So I am wondering how ( if at all) different the ej22 sohc wiring harness is to the ej25 dohc. I was thinking that out of the same year that they mioght be the same and all I would have to do is replace the ecu and drop in the new motor. I want to stay n/a as I like the class that I am in. Any suggestions as to what to do. The car NEEDS more power the ej22 just does not have the guts and I can pick up a ej25 out of a 97 legacy gt for $500. It will cost me atlest that to rebuild my ej22. What do i do and what will work?

Thanks

The wiring harnesses are going to be different but there will be a good amount of wires that are the same. Of course the motor will drop right in there without a problem, but sensors are going to screw you over in whats what. you can keep your stock ecu but you will need it reflashed(best if you can just grab a gt's). I know there are shops that do the wiring all for you, but if you got the know how I say do it yourself and just have both the 97 L shop manual and the 97 gt's shop manual to tell you which wire is which so you can splice them appropriately.

Hope this helps

yeah that helps. i thought that the wiring should be different but I think that they are the same on the engine side but different on the ecu side. I will get a 2.5 ecu as well ( with the motor) and I will just fiqure it out. one of our other rallyx cars is a leg gt, so I have all the things in line to take my time and do it.

Thanks for the help

Cory

One idea would be to use the wiring harness and sensors from the 2.2 liter engine and use that on the 2.5 liter engine.

So then it's just a question of a reflash of the ECU. It's even possible that you may be able to use the same ECU and just change the injectors.

This is of course only if the sensors are similar enough on both engines - that the 2.5 has the same sensor or that the 2.2 sensor fits in place of the 2.5.

From what I understand it's primarily the block/crankcase that you are really interested in to get more power.

However - do check the issue about blowing headgaskets on the 2.5. This is something that you may be suffering from if you do this swap.

453747.png

Having the dohc heads will flow a bunch more air and I guess that i will be getting alot of my hp gain from that as well as the bigger displacment. I will have a look into sensors and stuff. I heard that they only differenece is a plug on the ecu side and that i might be able to just rewire the proper plug onto the harness and plug it in. I plan on installling some good gaskets. i have heard that the copper ones almost take care of the head gaskets issue.

Archived