LegacyGT.com

Anyone regret choosing legacy instead of outback?

Here’s my background: I’ve owned my ’06 LGT wagon for 5 great, trouble-free months, and recently I’ve been able to test the Legacy in the snow (w/snow tires of course). In up to 6 inches of snow, the car is unstoppable. I haven’t tried it in anything deeper, but I’m nervous about the car bottoming out in the deeper stuff, which is usually found in the parking spots of poorly-plowed urban side-streets (where I live).

I bought the Subaru to be a formidable winter-weather driver, but now i’m worried that, without the added ground clearance of an Outback or SUV, the AWD is sort of useless. Am I wrong on this? Can someone reassure me that these cars, even with lower ground clearance, can still plow through the deeper stuff?

Well I currently drive a lowered WRX Wagon and I can tell you that I have not had any trouble with snow up to 12 inches. This car is surely lower than your legacy. The front of the car just plows it out of the way. The one time that I almost got stuck was in a ski area parking lot with about 15 inches, the car was almost sitting purely on snow. You should be fine, the weight of the car keeps the tires down enough. Like you said, with snow tires you will be fine.

I can say this much I have owned a 97 Ram 4x4 since March 97 and I have had it in all kinds of bad weather bad roads no roads and so on. I have had my Legacy which is a 98 GT with high performance all seasons on it, for about 4 months. When it comes to snow I would much rather drive the GT than my truck with any kind of weight in the back. We got just before X-mas just over 2 feet of snow and my car had no trouble what so ever going any where I wanted. I am sure if I had snow tires the car would have done even better. My stance is this if your car with snow tires can't make it than you don't need to be on the road plain and simple, A taller less stable SUV is not going to help you. An Outback maybe but not that much more. These cars with the right tires and a driver that uses some sense are unstoppable in the snow deep or not. But all this is just my two cents worth. Oh yeah as the other guy said the front bumpers make a decent snow plow LOL. The best advise I can give about snow is use your brain not a bigger vehicle. By the way my truck got stuck in a 4 foot snow drift that my car just busted right through with no problems at all and yes the car is still in perfect condition.

The difference between the Legacy and Outback when it comes to everyday handling is minimal. You do have a bit better clearance with the Outback, but in reality that won't matter much in the snow.

Correct tires makes much more of a difference.

And when you get really bad weather you shouldn't be out driving anyway since you disturb the plowing vehicles.

Just watch out for situations where wet snow has frozen to ice - that's a killer for any car with plastic skirts/bumpers.

453747.png

I remember the story of James Kim and how he died out on an Oregon trail. Its a tragic story, but what is lost in the story is that he and his family were taken deep into the Oregon trail in deep snow, unpaved roads and zero visibility in a Saabaru (Saab 9-2x). That pretty much sold me on the Subaru's AWD capability on the the non-outbacks.

Thanks for all the responses – much appreciated!

It seems the consensus is the added clearance of an Outback would not make much of a difference, and it wouldn’t be nearly as advantageous as good snow tires (which I have) used with common sense (which I’d like to think I have). Just to reiterate, the deep snow I encounter isn’t really on the main roads (and if it was, I’d certainly stay off them.), but rather in parking spots that I need to get in/out of.

Also, good point about frozen snow and how that can damage a car’s undercarriage – I know this too well from my previous car, which sustained some pricey damage because of it.

Thanks again,

Brock

+1 on that last bit re: frozen snow as that's the only situation I think the OB's greater ground clearance would be an advantage. Btw, what is the height diff?Otherwise, with snow tires you've got the best machine for the job! Plus you've got the 5mt which IMHO is superior for driving in snow - better control of the power to the ground.

@Blink, I’m actually not sure what the height difference would be – maybe 3-4 inches? Yeah, definintely enjoying having a 5mt for the control - and the fun, of course :)

@Bbc84 a metal skid plate sounds like a good idea – I’m taking the car in to get windows tinted in a few weeks, and will maybe see about having a plate installed as well.

No, personally I really dislike the Outback's looks and general idea from LGT wagon.

However you have the proper tires, if you are driving on roads with 6"+ of snow on them the conditions are really terrible and you don't belong there. Quebec as does New England has excellent plowing, 6"+ deep snow is atypical.

I actually made it through fluffy 13" of unplowed snow on my side street with a 95 Civic coupe with Blizzacks even from a stop. I am guessing a Civic coupe has less clearance than LGT. The important factor is composition of snow vs depth.

Thanks for your feedback, Raj. Good point re: snow composition vs. depth.

As for plowing, it depends where in Quebec (or NE) you're talking about. My neighborhood in Montreal usually gets cleared ~3 days later; plenty of time to get stuck if the snow's too deep.

Archived