LegacyGT.com

Lots of air in the cooling system

Subacy L

NO ACTUALLY! BUT.......the cooling system still has air in it. i drove it a lOOOng way today and no overheating. when i got back home i checked the hoses and they are still part air filled. the overflow bottle was FULL but not overflowing. then i unscrewed this valve thing on the left side of the radiator right next to where the top hose is. i dont know if anyone else has this on their radiator but its a thing that you can loosen and it lets air out. since there was a lot of pressure in the line the air came rushing out along with some coolant and lots of bubbles. it let all the pressure out of the system but then the level was low because a lot of coolant went into the overflow bottle wile i was driving. does that coolant get sucked back into the radiator some how? i hope so. well thats my situation right now. NO OVERHEATING but i am driving it lightly. you know, no hard acceleration and stuff. still air in the line. thanks for asking how it was doing. is yours working yet?

It's not really convincing. Looks like there's still an issue. What happens if you drive up a steep hill say 30-40 miles an hour for 5-10 min? What will the engine temperature gauge say to that?

It's not really convincing. Looks like there's still an issue. What happens if you drive up a steep hill say 30-40 miles an hour for 5-10 min? What will the engine temperature gauge say to that?

well here in IL it would be pretty hard to find a place like that but i do agree with you that there is still an issue. im sure that if i drove it harder that it would get hot. I dont want to do that though. id like to minimize the the number of times that it overheats. also, does the fluid in the overflow bottle get sucked back into the radiator after its flown into it?

well here in IL it would be pretty hard to find a place like that but i do agree with you that there is still an issue. im sure that if i drove it harder that it would get hot. I dont want to do that though. id like to minimize the the number of times that it overheats. also, does the fluid in the overflow bottle get sucked back into the radiator after its flown into it?

In my one it does, but as it seems not much. I used to top up the radiator directly when my HGs were blown.

Have actually done that 'bubble test' to see if your gaskets are blown?

not really. since i put some stop-leak fluid in the coolant it stays at the correct temp if i dont drive too hard. i thought i had it fixed but today i went to walmart and on the way i was going like 50mph for about a mile and when i got to walmart and slowed down to find a spot i saw the gauge up about 1/4 higher than normal. also when going home i was at a red light and it started getting a little hot but then i accelerated and it went down to normal. at home i opened the little air release valve and let the pressure out. still air in the line but at least i can drive it around town if i stay at the speed limit. haha.

lol wow. i think i just gave mouth-to-mouth to my car. haha. funny thing i just invented and i figured id better share it here.

i got home just now after class and started fiddling around with getting more air bubbles out of the system. but this time instead of pouring more water or coolant into the radiator i had an idea. i found a piece of small plumbing pipe in the garage that fit perfectly over the end of the overflow hose on the top of the overflow bottle. what i did was i blew into this small plumbing thing and that forced coolant out of the bottle right back into the radiator. by doing this i saved on coolant because every time my car gets too hot it forces coolant out of the bottle at the top (yeah it gets that full). and then the level only drops to about half way in the bottle when it gets sucked back in. well by the time i was done with this i had emptied the entire overflow bottle!!! and it was plum full when i started! haha. the reason i used a small plumbing pipe is because im not going to put my mouth on the hose itself. its got disgusting stuff on it not to mention coolant which is very poisonous. i was very careful not to get any coolant where i put my mouth. so dont worry i didnt ingest any. also i got alot of air out. the hose coming out of the heater core felt like continuous liquid unlike before when i could feel air moving around. we'll see how it runs now. haha.

Archived