LegacyGT.com

car won't start

I have a 2005 Legacy GT Limited I purchased in August. It has 100,000 miles on it. The previous owner purchased the car with a failed turbo and had it replaced along with the uppipe that caused the failure. It has also had the 100,000 mile service with a new water pump and timing belt, etc. It is about 30 degrees here today and the car started fine when I left work at 5pm. I went home to pick up the wife and kids to go over to my parents house for dinner. I left the car running because work is close and the car was not warmed up yet. We drove there (about 10 miles away or so). When we went to leave the car would not even crank or turn over. All I can hear is a motor whirring which I assume is the fuel pump. All the lights come on and we tried to jump it with no luck. I checked the fuses and all are good. The battery looked pretty old so we went to Autozone for a new one in case the battery was bad and not taking a charge at all. No luck. Then I thought it may be the aftermarket key was malfunctioning so we tried the original Subaru key with the same results. The Autozone guy said it sounds like a bad starter. Is this how they fail? One start it works fine and the next, no cranking or anything? Obviously I am going to have to get it towed. Is there anything special about towing an AWD vehicle (5sp manual) I should know? It looks like the starter may be easy to get at. Is this something that can be done in the driveway with jackstands? Sorry for the long (first) post but it has been a long time since I have owned a car that did not have a factory warranty (it is our second car and we trade our primary car every few years). I would appreciate any input the experts on here have. Thanks.

Archived