LegacyGT.com

Surprised - Installed Aftermarket H/U in '09 Harman Kardon Legacy

2.5 Stick

After having the Harman Kardon sub-woofer replaced under warranty last week and still the same distorted results. I decided to change out the system and use my own amp / sub combo. I forget which harness I used for the Sony ES head unit, but they had it at Best Buy. I was worried about the H/K amp under the pass. seat but after I plugged in the Sony, turned it on and WOW!, the Harman Kardon speakers really came to life. The tweeters are really getting a work out now, I should have done this last year. In '08-'09, Subaru decided to put decent speakers with an ok amp and a terrible sub-woofer. What's worse is, the H/K amp is tuned to send out frequencies below 60hz to the Sub when the Sub is clearly not designed to do that. This Sony ES unit that I installed has a built - in 7-band EQ, so I am able to dial down the bass center frequencies and the stock Harman Kardon sub really liked the signal. I boosted the 16khz to +10 and is perfect for the H/K tweeters. I wonder how this harness allowed such seamless interaction with the H/K under seat amp? I checked the front, rear, left, right bal. & fader, perfect.

Thats not all. I did not do this install to use the stock sub.

I installed a 1 Channel Sony ES- Mono-Block Amp firing a Kicker Comp CVR 12" in a vented box.

The Sony head unit has 3 Pre-Outs - 1 of which is dedicated for a sub-amp.

Luckily this head unit also has a built in High Pass filter - I set the Cut-Off to 125hz so now there is no Bass going to the stock Harman Kardon sub. All Bass is being routed to the Kicker Comp CVR centered at 40hz, very deep bass response!

THE SOUND IS AMAZING. The Harman Kardon stock door speakers are amazing, no need for a 4 - channel amp. Too crisp and loud already, very nice no distortion.

307004745_LegacyHKinstall002.thumb.jpg.26e467d69dc3ed27504ee907478db771.jpg

15902872_LegacyHKinstall003.thumb.jpg.842738d6ca3f009dd53d6d0bd758dcb5.jpg

676440891_LegacyHKinstall008.thumb.jpg.8255c617ef0392a64af56bd5d114333a.jpg

Archived