LegacyGT.com

HID fog light question

quick4dr

People say 35w since the housings can't handle the extra heat thats put off by the 55w kits. I've been running a 35w kit for a while now had have had no problems at all.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

How much heat would the 55W HID put out? <-- Genuine question.

The reason I ask? Our '05-'09 headlamp housings aren't melting - well, at least there's been no known reports of that problem...and plenty of people use 55W H7 HIDs in their headlamps.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19050

DeerKiller reported 3500 miles with an 100W incandescent setup in the factory fogs, with no issues, and several of us have used/are using 85W incandescent bulbs there (you'll want to follow outahere's posts on rewiring), again with no problems, with many miles and many years logged.

And in actuality, I'd honestly go with a setup that produces as much heat as possible, down there (not so much that it'd be melting something, of course! ;)), particularly if you live in a snow-bound region.

Why?

Simple - the heat helps keep the lamp free of accumulated snow/ice.

Look at Audi's new LED-headlamps, look at the extraordinary (and brilliant) measures they've taken to use the heat from the stars to defrost the "overlens" of the headlamps.

With the low placement of the front fogs on the BL/BPs, ice/snow accumulation becomes more than an academic concern - you'll want all the help you can get, there. :)

So, the question - does a 55W HID kit produce as much heat as an 85W or even 100W standard incandescent setup?

And furthermore, how is that heat dissipated in the fog housing, as well as will the differences in how the heat may be produced cause detrimental effects to the longevity of the bulb.....?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I've had 55w ddm/apexcone kit (5000k) with the slim ballasts in both my headlights (h7) and fogs (h3) for about a year now.

Zero issues with heat. Headlights are almost always on along with the fogs. Put ~35k on the car this year.

You should be fine.

^ Thanks for the cross-confirmation. :) It's always good to take things out of the theoretical, into the real. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

FYI... if you're doing HID's in your fogs... go with a lower Kelvin than your headlights. Yellow like the IS300's looks good. The lights look ridiculously aftermarket if they match your headlights... and you'll appreciate a whiter/yellower color for night/rain/fog driving and your lights will look natural to onlookers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived