LegacyGT.com

Using the hood scoop for real?

amp27

ive seen it done on rs25 forum but the guy took it off after the first rain cause it almost hydroed his engine, he couldnt figure out a decent drainage system

This is so false.... Gravelsport intakes were produced for the RS and made the hoodscoop usefull. They were run in small productions and built to the demand. There wasn't many of them produced so when they go up for sale they sell for a fortune..

I was lucky enough to have one on my RS, and I can tell you it was absolutely obnoxiously loud but that was about the extent of it.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b192/00vr6gti/IMG_0310.jpg

Slammed more than your girlfriend.

This is so false.... Gravelsport intakes were produced for the RS and made the hoodscoop usefull. They were run in small productions and built to the demand. There wasn't many of them produced so when they go up for sale they sell for a fortune..

I was lucky enough to have one on my RS, and I can tell you it was absolutely obnoxiously loud but that was about the extent of it.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b192/00vr6gti/IMG_0310.jpg

i wasnt talking about a real one, i was talking about a home made one

yup. and yea store bought to. idc. the idea seems logical. short cold ram intake with filter. do people just fab up some piping and hotglue some plastic together?

o1rs25: can you tell me how that intake you have drains the water? or is it only good for rain. not washwash/ full blown thunder storm. what about snow....ha that could get bad real quick.

There were 2 holes in the bottom of the intake. But the intake tube that went to the TB sat about 1/4-1/2 above the bottom of the intake, thus if any water actually got in it would drain out before ever entering the motor.

I had that intake for 4 years, never had a single hydrolocking problem. Rain, Snow, Car washes it never missed a beat and the motor remained healthy!

Slammed more than your girlfriend.

really. just simples holes on the bottom of the tube.... the air didnt suck the water with it... did the air come in then go below the inlet on the motor then holes then curve back up to the inlet? they would work. no?

• 1 month later...
i would think that subaru would have done that first of all. then when you play around with the intake less can go wrong. wish i new more about tuning....i would be all over this if i knew i was not gonna run it lean as hell

o yea. hmm. how do they do it with the ram intakes that run to the grill? thats got water

civics have a cold air thats in the front (intercooler look) the front cover had a removable plexiglass with holes drilled in it. Remove the plexiglass for race purposes

http://www.streetstyler.com/ArospeedColdFrontMountAirIntakes.htm

http://www.ppsonline.net/underhoodFrontMount.htm

the only reason i know this is because i there was a show on diy network about car customizing and i watched it.

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

yea thats sweeet. i am just gonna fab up something. how can you tell if water is getting in? is there signs

and as of the smt tuner stufff. i am finding stuff for like 300 bucks?? thats cheap? am i looking in the wrong places

with the smt tuner you do use a laptop to tune it, youre basically paying for a little scanner box that taps into your ecm, and the software to put on the computer. if you just bought an OBDII-usb cable and plugged your laptop into your car, it wouldnt do anything except recognize its a subaru...if that.

if youre new to tuning i wouldnt waste your money on a tuning program because youll probably end up blowing your motor. your best bet would to be to take your car to a dyno and have the pro's tune it for you. if your like me and the nearest awd dyno is too far away, do what i did and remove your driveshaft and then have them tune it. doing that though, it will read you have higher hp than you actually do, but in any case you can still see the amount of hp you increased from stock.

Archived