LegacyGT.com

Finally some dedicated snows

leftride

After driving in CO for over 12 years, I finally broke down and got a set of dedicated snows for the OBXT.

225/60R-16 Continental ExtremeWinterContact mounted on steelies. Ordered them from Tirerack and they should be here this week. I guess the upside of all this besides the safety in the winter will be a set of dedicated summer tires on my Rota's.

I hope the snow keeps coming as it has been so it's a worthwhile purchase. :spin:

^^ Good job. In the long run it does cost you anything extra and you get the best tires for the road in 4 seasons. When it comes time to replace your summers, you can go much more aggressive and/or cheaper since you no longer need a "compromise" tire.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

While I'd love to go with a dedicated snow / summer tire, I've always been concerned about knowing when to change between the two. We always seem to get those freakish fall / spring storms where it's 80 one day, and snow the next. Do you just drive the winter tires until May in the spring time?

yeah, being in CO you'll always get those freakish days...and for the most part the winter driving conditions are usually dry roads, but I think the idea is to just put on the tire for the conditions you plan on running into.

Temp also seems to have a lot to do with choice as well. When temps drop summer rubber gets pretty hard, while winter rubber will stay soft.

I'll see how it goes :)

I got my winters now thanks to TP and am shopping for summers (wheels and tires) right now.

Having driven on All season for my whole life. I will now never go back to them. It is night and day traction in the snow with dedicated winter tires.

,As far as when to switch... I am thinking late March and if we do get freak storms, drive carefully or call in sick. Or spend 20 minutes and switch tire before the storm.

After driving in CO for over 12 years, I finally broke down and got a set of dedicated snows for the OBXT.

225/60R-16 Continental ExtremeWinterContact mounted on steelies. Ordered them from Tirerack and they should be here this week. I guess the upside of all this besides the safety in the winter will be a set of dedicated summer tires on my Rota's.

I hope the snow keeps coming as it has been so it's a worthwhile purchase. :spin:

There is nothing, let me repeat, nothing like dedicated snows.:lol: The first big storm will make you a believer, as for me since 1966.

As for summer, when the temp stays above 50 degrees, time to change. But better to change later than too soon.:)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I have Hankook Ice Bear on my LGT which is 225-45-17 and it was great. Just before the Thanksgiving, I got Blizzak for my Outback and it was awesome. I'm not sure the difference between two tires are wider LGT vs narrower Outback but OB stopped on packed snow/ice even without engaging ABS. The first time my wife drove the OB, she called me because it was that much different.

Next Winter tire for LGT ought to be Blizzak with 215-45 or even 205-55.

From Desert to Rocky to SLC !!!

Archived