LegacyGT.com

Handling Over Speed

MtnSub

Having owned a 328 BMW w/sport suspension, I discovered that I could enjoy handling during far more of my driving hours than raw speed. If 2.5GT Leg feels as good as it looks on paper, I will be buying near year end. Disappointed with nose heavy, soft Audi A6 Quatro, Volvo S40 T5 does not feel aggressive and BMW requires special order for manual 325xi wagon and refuses to offer 330 engine on wagon. Given that I have not yet tested Leg 2.5GT, it may be premature to consider add-ons, but it seems that a beefed up rear sway bar seems an obvious first choice for sharpned handling. Aftermarket bars and bushings probably not ready yet, but any advice from experienced Suby lovers on sway bar impact? :?:

You need to talk to gtguy about all your handling needs. He is the man when it comes to tweaking a car and trying every, yes every, possible combination of handling goodies. It's good to hear that a BMW owner is thinking of coming and running with us Subaru people. I think this would be something that SOA would love to hear about! I think this is thier expectation for this new legacy. Welcome! I am sure you will find answers to the questions that you have.. although I am not a suspension guru, I know we have a few in the group!

[quote name='MtnSub']Having owned a 328 BMW w/sport suspension, I discovered that I could enjoy handling during far more of my driving hours than raw speed. If 2.5GT Leg feels as good as it looks on paper, I will be buying near year end. Disappointed with nose heavy, soft Audi A6 Quatro, Volvo S40 T5 does not feel aggressive and BMW requires special order for manual 325xi wagon and refuses to offer 330 engine on wagon. Given that I have not yet tested Leg 2.5GT, it may be premature to consider add-ons, but it seems that a beefed up rear sway bar seems an obvious first choice for sharpned handling. Aftermarket bars and bushings probably not ready yet, but any advice from experienced Suby lovers on sway bar impact? :?:[/quote] As far as sway bars are concerned, I am under the impression that the stock sway bars do the job quite nicely. This is of course, refrence from something Paul has told us about the JDM GT.

I would hold off on anything until we know what the car can do with nice rubber. The WRX had known deficiencies that could easily be addressed. We don't know if the Legacy has any issues at all, yet. We know the steering is good to go, as are the springs/dampers and suspension geometry, which explains the lack of body roll that everyone is commenting on. We'll know more pretty soon, though. And welcome, MtnSub...I'm with you on the handling/braking front. There's one guy who has made his automatic WRX wagon into this 300+hp beast, still running on the stock suspension, wheels and tires. To each his own, but a great handling car is automatically faster, because you don't have to slow down for stuff. :D Kevin

Wow, that was quick for such experienced, quality replies. Thanks I am very impressed with the overall quality discussion on this site. Being focussed on handling is easy when you talk about cars that start with off-the-shelf, great feeling, fun engines like the inline BMW 6 or this new Leg 2.5GT engine. I tried the Forester Turbo and was very impressed, but did not consider leaving my beautiful, quality, BMW interior (pre Bangle) until I saw the NEW Leg 2.5GT wi/sport seats and a very tasteful Euro interior. The interior layout is driver oriented, simple, quality materials and thank you for the flat black dash. I am so happy that a car manufacturer is still committed to manual trans, serious brakes, weight conceous design and fun. Cannot wait to test drive a Leg 2.5GT on my local dips, mountain turns and punishing Pasadena Freeway. Thanks again for the mature, experienced responses.

There are a few who have gotten them already (very few) and several whom I have had some sort of contact with have also had the ability to drive/ride in them, and they are all very impressed. Supposedly very well composed, smooth, excellent handling for a car of its price range and far over the previous models. Probably what brought a bunch of us to put our orders in sight unseen. I can't wait for July. Mtnsub you are very welcome. Welcome to our little corner of the internet. Hopefully you can learn some new things, contribute, and most of all have fun. (Some days we think Drift Monkey has a little too much fun though. :P Better watch out for him though. :lol:)

Archived