LegacyGT.com

My leggy is gassy

I'm quite sure that it's not leaking anything (actually I replaced the fuel filler neck a couple weeks ago), and I'm smelling some gas while the car is running. The smell seems to be coming from the exhaust.

Faulty 02 sensors mayhaps? If so, where can I get some on the cheap?

hmm would you say exhuast smell as you might have an exhuast leak. This can be caused by a bad gasket, rust which might have gotten into your exhuast pipes and tore a whole in it, or a bad connection due to bolts not being tight enough.

Or try this drive your car for a bit then tilt he smell come in, park it and open up your hood to see if you smell it in there.

Since you replaced the fuel filter check the hoses for any cracks and such

i just had some one come to me with the same problem it could be a couple things

1.the exhaust donut (it makes it a little louder you'll notice) that could have became rusty and let fumes into the car

2.alot of the gas lines are no where nere as tight as they should be usually

check those things and check back

thanks guys, I've got two back to back tomorrow and another one plus a project+presentation on friday... then a nice cruise home in the subi.

One thing thats totally OT but I don't want to start another thread about it: say I found a WRX engine/tranny on ebay for like 2k... is it just a direct drop in? Is there extra drive by wire crap I would have to deal with? I'm all about keeping this car cheap... but throwing in a WRX engine would definitely spice up the daily commute.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys and gals, just fixed my gas smell and leak on my '05. Mine only happened when the car was cold, like less than 10 deg and the car was totally cooled down. I found that the metal fuel lines have a short section of rubber hose connecting them.

I believe the metal fuel line is contracting a little bit with the bitter cold and the rubber must be getting a bit brittle too? It's a potential PITA but I was able to rotate the clamps to a more manageable position and tighten them up to stop the leak.

If you are smelling gas especially on cold starts through your vent (when it's on fresh) I strongly advise to check these clamps, mine was starting to leak pretty bad and I suspect our cars will burn pretty well even in these cold temps..... Even the mighty Spec B! :p

i just typed gas smell in on the search and found this thread. I have been getting a gas smell through my vents on cold starts. I noticed we all have 05's, hmmmmmm... anyway Crash, where exactly are these rubber hoses, on top of the engine under the cover or elsewhere.

I have gas smell too. Then I saw dripping gas on the front right under the engine cover of my 05 LGT. What happened to safe, reliable Japanese cars?

Fixed it. Dealership tightened all the fuel line connections and replaced one. $56 covered by warranty. Sweet. :)

05 LGT? Wrong section dude!

Also, I think I've determined the source of my gas smell, and think I have an exhaust leak near where the midpipe hooks up to the headers. Anyone else (in a second gen Legacy ;)) have this problem?

Archived