LegacyGT.com

Check engine light scaare

Hi,

Am a total newbie when it comes to cars but just purchased a Legacy GTB 1996 wagon. On the way home I was pushing it really hard to see how much power it had..which was all good until the 'Check Engine' light came on during one particularly intense hill climb

I stopped straight away and there was a small bubbling noise somewhere in the engine...I have had a similar noise overheating a car before...but the temp was not high on the dash.

Anyway I left it for 20 minutes, then turned engine on. The 'check engine' light was now off so I drove cautiously home.

Would this just have been a temporary problem, or is something broken and need fixing? I am really afraid to do much driving incase it has a problem...

Any advice cheers

Sounds like you have a bad hose somewhere and its cracked might be as simple as a replacement. It sounds like one as you said when you were doing the intense hill climb all your hoses were at max capacity and one cracked which caused a the check engine light to come on. When you were driving home cautiously it turned off as you did have that much moving through that broke hose.

I want to say its your turbo inlet as you maybe you noticed a loss in boost. I forgot if the gtb's had stock boost guages or not, but if so take a stare at that and see when your on the throttle does it go back down.

did you notice any changes in you temp guage cause my other theory it might be a radiator hose leak due to the bubling sound. But if you get the chance look around you engine bay, start up your car with hood close and take it around the block or so (or what ever to get the temp gauge up) then turn off the engine and start carefully squeezing hoses. All your hoses should be hot and squishy, any that are still hard and feel kinda crusty need to be changed as those are prone to cracking.

hope this helps

westcoast

check the head gasket :)

hey wouldnt have to worry about the head gaskets as he has a WHOLE different beast than us lol. a ej20tt yup a twin turbo only can you find these across the sea.

and do what fatboy said and take it to an auto parts store to get check engine code read. when you get it tell us!

• 4 weeks later...

It won't go higher as a safety measure. Try to read the codes and check what they say.

The CEL can cause the ECU to select a safe mode just to allow the car to limp home. That can mean that there is a faulty sensor, but you will have to read code to figure out which sensor. It is possible that the sensor is only failing when it's warm or under certain conditions so be prepared to read the codes when you have the condition.

453747.png

Archived