LegacyGT.com

Seatbelt system going crazy

Hello,

I have a '91 Legacy LSL. Recently the seat belt system has been acting crazy. The driver seat belt and shoulder belt are latched and no other passengers are in the car. A clicking sound can be heard in the area of the trunk that goes on and off quickly almost the whole time the iginition is on. I imagine that is a relay going crazy. The seat belt indicater (red light on the dash) seems to be displaying the code 14 (1 blink, then 4 blinks) while the ignition is on. Now the active restraint does not go up or down when the ignition is switched on or off.

Is there a control unit for the seat belt system? Or does it use the ECM as its brain?

Any ideas on what the 14 code represents? I can't find it anywhere on the Internet.

Thanks all.

14 is "rear limit switch remains on, driver's side"

The clicking you are hearing is actually the computer for the seatbelts, which is located in the trunk on the driver's side behind the carpeted side. Fried seatbelt computer? Maybe, but I'm thinking something more simple.

It may actually just be a bad door switch. You know, that sensor on the pillar that turns the dome light on and off, tells the belts when to retract when you open/shut the door? There are sensors connected to that, and sometimes they can go bad.

Thanks for the info.

I was just wondering if there is a site with information on the codes from the seatbelt computer. Once or twice it has blinked out a different code.

Also, you mentioned the door switch being bad. Do you suspect the door switch or the sensors connected to the switch?

Thanks

Your best bet would be to take apart the switch and see if you can get it to work. Maybe it's just a short. Check the wires with a multimeter, see if you are getting a consistent reading.

Use these FSM scans if you want to trouble shoot the codes.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/FSM_Scans/autoseatbeltdiag1.jpg

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/FSM_Scans/autoseatbeltdiag2.jpg

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/FSM_Scans/autoseatbeltdiag3.jpg

Thanks Bdubs for the info. This is just what I needed! I should be able to trouble shoot the problem from this info. BTW, what is the book that these scans are from? I should probably pick up a copy. I have the Haynes manual for this car but it didn't contain the info you found.

That is from an actual Subaru Service Manual for the 90-94 Legacy.

Thanks to a very helpful member over there on legacycentral.org, you can get the complete FSM over there.

I'd give you the link, but the site is being a real pain in the ass right now.

If you go to the Library at the main page, there should be a link to the PDF.

Archived