LegacyGT.com

Do engineers ever drive the cars they design?

I'll admit the sunroof issue is a little better than the pinch protection in my girlfriend's Saab 9-3. It's so sensitive that it just decides to open back up again if there is the slightest amount of resistance. Quite fun in the rain.

Wait, maybe it's not fair comparing with Saab when it comes to "quirks". Despite the oddities I really do like both cars though, for different reasons. One of my favorites that I'm getting used to is not actually about the car, but the key fob. I find myself occasionally locking / unlocking the car as I put the keys in my pocket, which makes me think I'll one day inadvertently unlock it as I walk away... potentially very uncool.

the water thing seems like user-error. Water on car/raining outside = windows up :p

If I roll down windows in the rain, I EXPECT water to get inside ;)

People (including me) have a problem with it pooling on the roof of the car. For instance it can rain at my house (no garage for parking :mad:) and even the next day if I don't wipe the water off and open my windows nothing conveniently happens until I get going on my downhill driveway which then sends streams through the windows and/or sunroof. :spin:

In my car, with the 5MT, the seat belt does not chime until you are moving >5mph (regardless if you're in gear or neutral/rolling down a hill).

However, my parents' '08 Forester has exactly what you describe. Incredibly annoying.

Never mind the rain ... the morning dew will fall into my car if I open the window on a warm summer morning.

Don't you people know, engineers don't design cars. Some foo-foo artist, lawyers, and bean counters design cars. Engineers almost always lose when they try to give their logical input. The artsy-fartsy guys usually win and that why you have cars with really stupid designs. It's all form over function.

If you unleash engineers to build a car, what you would get is the McLaren F1. Function would take precedence over form.

I totaly with every one on roof rain water, after its rained and you stop it dumps directly over the driver window esp in a wagon where the roof rail stops. Also the lack of a gutter means if you clean your windshielf all the nasty crap water goes right to the open front windows and mist you or drips onto you in the car.

Another moronic quirk is no reverse synro its 2010 people WTF, my focus has sync'd reverse in 2001

Also auto A/C is retarded in these cars, and for the manual a/c the low isnt low enough and high isnt effective on hot days.

In my mercedes I can say the only issue I see with it is the cup holder is shallow, so if you have a full size bottle water or normal cup, you will knock into it while shifting (mines a 6 speed) I think they designed it with autos in mind. Its fixed by elevating the cup holder to the 2nd position but I dont want to do that every time I use the damn thing.

Another moronic quirk is no reverse synro its 2010 people WTF, my focus has sync'd reverse in 2001

That bugs the crap out of me. A couple times I've tried to put it in reverse while already slowly going backwards and it sounded scary. Good thing I didn't force it :rolleyes:

I once drove a 1977 Ferrari 308 GTB, I wound up with a flat tire only to find out that while the jack worked perfectly and was a beautiful design, it would not fit under the car when it had a flat tire and was thus lower to the ground than when it did not have a flat tire...

SO MUCH STUPID!!!

Your Veyron doesn't seem very water proof.

You are calling the Saab key on the console an issue? That's a Saab trademark! Even their rebadged Chevy Trailblazer had to have it. I don't recall, did the Saabaru have it too?

And, yeah, the sunroof thing is annoying, as someone else said, all Toyota's do it too.

RE: Heated seats...

05 - 06 the switches are great

07 - 09 the switches are cheeseball.

They put the Si-Drive controller where the heated seat switches were, and then said "oh that will fit there" and stuck the worlds smallest heated seat controller where your elbow goes.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Thanks for the heads up! I had not realized that the SiDrive was displacing the heated seat controls. That is histerical.

I totaly with every one on roof rain water, after its rained and you stop it dumps directly over the driver window esp in a wagon where the roof rail stops. Also the lack of a gutter means if you clean your windshielf all the nasty crap water goes right to the open front windows and mist you or drips onto you in the car.

This is very annoying when washing the car, I always dry it top - down, and have to come back and wipe up the drips from the front of the roof rails down the front windows, and then again when I get home. Also, the painted plastic around the door handles and center console seem to scratch very easily, otherwise it's been a very good car.

The cup holders in my Acura 1.6EL are TERRIBLE!!! You can't get a can of coke in or out without tilting it, so don't do that when it's full and open, and then they are so shallow that things tip over when you take corners, awful design, they could have omitted them entirely and achieved the same functionality.

I once drove a 1977 Ferrari 308 GTB, I wound up with a flat tire only to find out that while the jack worked perfectly and was a beautiful design, it would not fit under the car when it had a flat tire and was thus lower to the ground than when it did not have a flat tire...

SO MUCH STUPID!!!

That's why you always shall have a piece of 2x4 with you to drive up on to be able to get the jack in place.

Never underestimate a 2x4!

453747.png

Couldn't you just get rain visors?

Well, I now live in Southern California, so rain visors would seem kind of silly, given how infrequently it rains here. :cool: However, I live near the beach and park on the street, so excessive dew on the roof is a more pertinent problem for me. Anyway, my point - per the thread topic - is just that Subaru engineers made a poor choice in not designing the vehicle to better manage the water, since that was a viable option and is more fitting for an 'all-weather' vehicle. Or why bother with the AWD?

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Archived