LegacyGT.com

New double DIN head unit installed - buttons don't light up?

MoffatRodney

Hey guys,

So I went ahead and bought the AVO JDM panel kit, and installed an Eclipse AVN5500 head unit that I purchased off a member here. I had my installer put in everything today - it went pretty smoothly, got the climate control working, along with everything else, except for the buttons on the actual double DIN head unit. They don't light up - which makes using the unit a bit of an endeavour at night.

Is it possible my installer wired something wrong? The climate control lights up fine, or goes dim if my headlights are switched off. He does this professionally, so I figure he knows what he's doing...but everyone makes mistakes.

Any input?

Noo, bit of a misunderstanding there -

Just to clarify, the lights on the JDM Climate Control unit turn off and light up just fine - it's the buttons on the Eclipse head unit that don't light up. There's no problem at all with the climate control lights - it's the buttons on the head unit that are my issue.

It does sound like the two illumination/dimmer wires going to the JDM climate control panel were connected correctly, but just to confirm -- do the backlights on that panel dim and brighten as you rotate the dimmer knob (with headlights on)?

Let's see (looking at the AVN5500 manual) -- it has an Orange/White wire for "illumination power supply". The Eclipse, like most HUs, wants to see +12V there when your headlights are on. That wire should have been connected to the Orange wire on my 14-pin harness.

Even if your installer left it disconnected, I would think that the HU should still light up when on. If he mistakenly connected it to the Orange/White wire on the 14-pin harness, the HU would just be in "night" mode until you turn your car's dimmer knob nearly all the way bright.

The Eclipse does have menu options to set the day and night brightness levels. See page 34 in the manual.

Other than that, I don't know. Try asking the HU dealer or someone who owns that same HU how it should normally work. You may need to pull the HU to check the wiring.

Thanks for the response.

The backlights on the JDM climate control panel do dim and brighten with the dimmer knob rotation.

The head unit does light up : the LCD screen itself looks great It's the control buttons on the sides that do not light up. This is why I suspect there's an issue with how he's wired the "night illumination wire".

• 1 month later...

Archived