LegacyGT.com

Desperately need help! Terrible moaning sound with newish wheels and tires.

vodoo-chile

I need help. I purchased some used rims (17x7 OZ supperleggera (sp?))and some new 215/45/17 Kuhmo SPT's. With these rims and tires, there is a terrible moaning sound whenever the speed gets above 40 mph or so. The car drives straight and does not pull or vibrate.

I took the car to Disocunt Tire and had them check the rims for any bends or out of balance problems and all came back fine. This was done after about 5k miles of driving. They said the tires are cupped on the outside edge and that is what is causing the moaning sound, typically due to an alignment issue.

My problem is that when I put my stock wheels and RE92's back on, it is back to normal sound. I have had the RE92's on for about 2-3 years with no problems of cupping or moaning. Is this a wheel problem or a tire problem? If there is an alignment issue, why hasn't it caused any problems with the stock wheels and tires?

Money is pretty tight and I can't afford to swap tires back and forth and pay for alignments if it is not really the problem. Any and all insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Kyle

Not every same sized tire will be the exact same size, you may still need to get aligned. Or as said before, it could just be a loud tire. Some tires(their tread patterns) are just louder than others. My Barums(ashamed I had these :lol:) were very loud and had a slight hum to them.

most AS tires can be nosier then a dedicated season tire. i suggest you read the tirerack reviews. they have alot of information there.

I thought it was the other way around, aren't summer tires usually louder than all-seasons??

ContiExtremeContact DWS are supposed to be relatively quiet, though the sidewalls are soft for a UHPAS tire.

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/continental/215%252F45-17+continental+extremecontact+dws+91xlw.html

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

:lol::lol::lol:This is HISTERICAL!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Brother, I feel your pain and I am glad it I am not the only one! My tires are crazy loud compared to the POS RE92... I look at it on the bright side - I don't notice any extra noise from my LWFW.

The ONLY positive thing I can say about the RE92 is that they are quiet. They are complete and utter crap for any sort of spirited driving so I would suck it up cowboy, toss on the read streetmeat and turn that radio up a bit.:cool:

I need help. I purchased some used rims (17x7 OZ supperleggera (sp?))and some new 215/45/17 Kuhmo SPT's. With these rims and tires, there is a terrible moaning sound whenever the speed gets above 40 mph or so. The car drives straight and does not pull or vibrate.

I took the car to Disocunt Tire and had them check the rims for any bends or out of balance problems and all came back fine. This was done after about 5k miles of driving. They said the tires are cupped on the outside edge and that is what is causing the moaning sound, typically due to an alignment issue.

My problem is that when I put my stock wheels and RE92's back on, it is back to normal sound. I have had the RE92's on for about 2-3 years with no problems of cupping or moaning. Is this a wheel problem or a tire problem? If there is an alignment issue, why hasn't it caused any problems with the stock wheels and tires?

Money is pretty tight and I can't afford to swap tires back and forth and pay for alignments if it is not really the problem. Any and all insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Kyle

I would say it is tire noise. I have Kumho Ecsta XS for summer/autocross and they are very noisy.. it almost makes me think that I have a bad wheel bearing or two. I switched to my stock RE92's for the winter about 3 or 4 weeks ago, and the ride is almost silent.

Archived