LegacyGT.com

Frameless windows issue?

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else, if it's normal or an issue.

It just snowed here and it's the wet heavy kind. Driving on the highway there was a transport heading in the other direction but what "throwing" snow/slush into my lane. It hits my window and next thing you know I'm soaked...I'm like WTF?!!? just happened.

How could the slush get in? Is this an issue with the frameless design or do I have a problem with the weather stripping? This has never happened before in down pours and this is my first winter w/the subby.

Thx

actually, the frameless windows do allow a lot of venting from the outdoors... that was why they went to framed ones on the new car. that and it makes it harder to steal and it wears better over time. At ~140 mph you can hear the glass start to peal away from the car because low pressure air that is rushing by the car is sucking the windows off of the car. seriously! try it! it's really freaky!

Strange. I can't really see how this could happen. Seems like if the window got hit with a heavy splatter of slush, it would just push the window inboards harder into the seal on the door frame, which would make for a tighter seal. Perhaps there would be a slight, momentary gap when the window rebounded outwards, but certainly nowhere near the gap required to get 'soaked'. I'm thinking maybe the heavy slush hit the seal above the edge of the glass, and the weight just completely deflected the seal, allowing the slush to pass around the window as if the seal wasn't even there. So yeah, that would just be a result of the frameless design, I think. A new seal might be slightly stiffer, but probably not enough to have mattered in this case.

I'd take a look at the seal to make sure there is no damage, and then just chalk it off to just a one-off 'perfect storm' with the way the slush hit at just the right angle and force. But I'm someone that REALLY likes the frameless design, so I'm willing to excuse the occasional issue like this: I just think they are cool.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

+1 scooter......I love frameless too......I have noticed that under certain conditions the window gets "sucked" away from the weather stripping for a brief moment , a strong gust of wind from passenger side towards my side creates negative pressure and the window flexes away from the weather stripping.....and sometimes makes a loud sound-----like a car horn ! (Freaky the first time you experience it). Maybe a combination of the low pressure pull coincided with the slush hitting the glass !?
Do it right the first time.........or don't bother doing it at all.

140mph? Must be a fun experience at the track and feeling like your windows are about to explode...

actually it was a long copless stretch of road in the southern New Mexico desert... and yes the windows almost exploding is why I slowed down. that and I was having to plan every move I made about a horizon in advance of when I made it...

Archived