LegacyGT.com

Weird Problems...

Well, first off, it's like getting to be around -10F here in North Dakota (I go to UND for aviation, from NYC, though) in the mornings and my car is starting to have issues turning over. When it does it makes very, very unhappy sounds for a bit and the damn clutch feels like I'm pushing through corn syrup. I assume that's attributed to the viscosity of the hydraulic fluid. Anyone else have similar issues...Canadians chime in? But anyway, on to the real problem...

Just got back from a quick drive to Walmart. Parked the car there, went in, and came back out about ten minutes later. I started the car and then went to turn on the headlights. Turned the switch, but the panel lights didn't dim/illuminate. Got out to investigate to find that the left headlight was on, right didn't turn on, and the DRLs were back! I disabled those guys a couple months ago. I figured that maybe the DRLs come on anyway when it detects a headlight failure. I turned the switch off and back on a few times, and then finally on like the 3rd try, everything operated as normal. As a side note, I just had those Osram Hyper H7 bulbs put it about a week ago. Would have done it myself, but it was there getting winter tires anyway.

So, three possible causes pop into my head. They are probably all wrong, which is why I'm posting...

1.) Battery was weak. I doubt this as I had just driven the car 10 mins to Walmart

2.) Wiring issue on my part when I disabled the DRLs. (I used heat shrink tubing, though)

3.) Headlight isn't in right or something.

Additionally, on top of that, as I was driving back, something up front (seemed to be right in front of me) was squeaking. Minor, but it's bothering me.

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

Anybody have any other ideas on this one. Same thing just happened this morning. Similar circumstances. Started car on very, very cold morning, drove to warm it up, parked it, and when I came back about 5-10 mins later to start it, the same problem cropped up. I noticed this time that the seat heaters wouldn't come on either. I shut the car off and cycled the lights a bunch of times and eventually it fixed itself.

What I'll have to check is to make sure the heat shrink tubing didn't come off or something. I doubt it, though. I'm thinking the DRL's just turn themselves on when it detects a headlight failure, but what's weird is that when this problems occurs, it's like the headlights aren't even on. Nothing in the cabin dims or illuminates...and as I just mentioned, I noticed the seat heaters wouldn't come on while this headlight thing was happening.

Archived