LegacyGT.com

Oil Leak 95 EJ22

There seems to be an oil leak. Ive inspected it from a few angles and can see that on the driver side piston cover the middle bolt looks really oily/dirty compared to all the others and I can see it dripping off near the transmission. When I aggressively accelerate the engine smells like oil is burning on my exhaust possibly. What should I do?

Valve cover gaskets and the gasket cover grommets need to be replaced. All in all, it's a pretty simple procedure.

The trickiest part is getting to the 3 bolts on each side. Pass. side you just need to remove all the air intake parts, and driver's side unbolt the washer reservoir and remove the battery for easy access.

It can be done without draining any oil, although you may get some residual dripping when you take the covers off, so putting a pan under the car may be a good idea. All you need is a simple set of metric tools. Clean the covers up with some degreaser before you put them back on, because I'm sure they'll be a mess.

• 5 months later...

Hey guys, I'm new to the site. I bought my first Subaru last week, a 93 sub legacy fwd. I bought it as a commuter car to keep miles off of my pickup. It has 187k on it and a pretty serious oil leak.

Thanks for the info on your leak. Mine is also leaking from the driver's side valve cover. I've got the passenger side gasket replaced, but I had to quit on account of rain. I also have quite a bit of oil crud on the bottom of the engine. It also seems to be leaking from the bottom seam between the block and what I think is the timing cover. Any ideas where this one might be coming from?

My plan right now is to finish the valve cover gasket replacement, then degrease the rest of the engine and check for new crud.

Thanks again

Archived