LegacyGT.com

Brake Rebuild Help please

got a strange problem with the brakes on a 1996 lgt. when you do press the brake the brakes work but you have to push very very far and even then the braking power is very bad. i checked the rotors and pads for one tire and look like new for each. not sure on the other 3. even the e brake as sh*t stopping power. i pulled it going like 5mph and rolled for 20 feet. brake fluid level is almost maxed. i was told that the brakes may need to be bleed. if that sounds right how might i go about doing that?

your gunna need a friend pump the brakes and hold them down and yell at your friend to crack the bleeder valve then air will come up and when fluid comes out he will close the valve then you will pump the brakes again do that until it seems like just pure fluid comes out right when you open the valve

The hand brake is basically a cable operated drum brake that used the inside of the hat on your rear rotors as the drum. I'd pull the brakes apart and make sure everything is installed and working correctly, then just adjust the shoes and you should be good to go.

You might have springs broken on your rear breaks. Dont forget that when you depress the front brakes the rears also grab. So if the shoes (drum) or calipers (disk) are not working correctly that might be the reason you are having trouble stopping or the pedal goes to the floor.

Start by bleeding breaks and then go from there.

yes this weekend for sure. cause i totally took of my MIRROR TODAY. ***t gr ah ge hrmm aH!. funny. very very funny. but ads;flghmslknlrd'; so like i totally need a new mirror or what are the laws with mirrors. its the right mirror. and this is related to the thread i guess cause the abs dont work well.

The hand brake is basically a cable operated drum brake that used the inside of the hat on your rear rotors as the drum. I'd pull the brakes apart and make sure everything is installed and working correctly, then just adjust the shoes and you should be good to go.

the problem might be alot simpler than that, his ebrake might just be loose and needs tightening. If you open up your center console towards the edge you will see two screws un do those and you will see your ebrake asemply, you can tighten the cable from this end. you will need a two small wrenches (dont remeber the size off hand) but there is a two bolts somewhere in there that you need to tighten this will give you back the ebrake strengh so that you arent pulling it all the way up to get the lock.

If your going to do a whole brake rebuild I would just go with slotted rotors, performance pads, stainless steel brake cables, and bleed your brake line. You will definitely have your braking power back twin fold, I have crosswoth wrx slotted front rotors and bracket and just standard slotted roters in the rear. and stainless steel brake lines it makes a BIG DIFFERENCE!

ok sweet ill fix the ebrake tonight then, i heard it was a cable and figure the cables were like the cable in a bike. i would think.

and as for the mirror. do they something i could buy to put over the spot that the mirror mounts? like just a plate type cover and get it painted? so it lookes nice ha.

ok sweet ill fix the ebrake tonight then, i heard it was a cable and figure the cables were like the cable in a bike. i would think.

and as for the mirror. do they something i could buy to put over the spot that the mirror mounts? like just a plate type cover and get it painted? so it lookes nice ha.

like how bad is your mirror broke off, like alot if you find a replacement you should be able to unscrew the rest out and rewire the replacement in.

pretty much just like a bike, you just tighten the bolt, test your ebrake, to your likeness. A proper ebrake should hold the car still a quarter- half way up.

ok sweet. yea all that left of the mirror is the 3 red parts for the mirror. and that rubberish black part, if i had the mirror it could probably go right back on and work. just so jb weld or something. but the mirror is at the crash site if you now what i mean.

and as for the ebrake. fixed. full pull is like a 4 inch grab.

i bleed them and everything went perfect untill the RR line busted. so now the brake are back to zero braking power. what do i do to fix the brake lines. and its not the braded metals parts. its the "line" the big fing metal line the runs to the firefall. there is a leak right above the gas tank...i can see the fluid comeing down the tank and the whole wheel and wheel well are just coated in brake fluid.

i am thinking i need to take it in to have the whole RR brake line redone? what are your thoughts on what to do. cost?

Archived