LegacyGT.com

Noob with a problem

First off, hello. Dayton Oh local with this little gem I scored on the cheap:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e132/matthew8908/P1010259.jpg

Not a speck of rust anywhere and everything works perfectly except for the moonroof (which I understand is a typical issue - is that right?) and the previous owner decided to attach the passenger side mirror with drywall screws so I can't roll down that window. Anyone have a black power passenger side mirror?

OK, so here's my problem:

At lunch today, I turned right from a stoplight. I accelerated normally and I saw the speedo needle drop off and go down to zero. The car continued to run normally. A few minutes later the check engine light came on. The car stalled out a few times but it would start right back up. Everything else worked ok, lights, heat, all the other gauges. I know my clutch is worn and should be replaced? Any thoughts?

Car is a 98 Legacy GT wagon 5 speed.

History is unknown before 164k miles. There's 167k now.

I don't think a worn clutch would cause that... I would deffinally check the VSS. If you plan on having your clutch done by a shop be ready to spend $600-$1000. I would recommend doing it your self if you have access to the tools as the parts are fairly cheap.

I'm fairly certain it is the VSS at least by the symptoms. I have not had it scanned yet, the friendly jerks at Autozone wouldn't come out to scan it because it was raining. I guess the next time I need something, I'll drive the extra mile to go to Orielly's. My buddy is scanning it for me tonight and no, the clutch will not be getting done in a shop.

If in fact it is the VSS should I just wait until I do the clutch? Does it effect anything besides the speedo? I did notice my idle is really low and I think that's why it stalled out on me.

Archived