LegacyGT.com

cooling/heating problems...?

My EJ22 is overheating. Let me tell you what is going on...My wife drives the car regularly. She complained that the heat wasn't working the way it should. She stated the the heat would intensify when she pressed down on the accelerator. I wasn't sure where to start. So I took a look at the thermostat. Infact, I replaced what appeared to be the OEM T-Stat with one I bought at C.A.P. When I had the original out, I compared them side by side; The C.A.P. version was noticably shorter, meaning It fit/sealed in the housing OK with the gasket, but the springs were noticably narrower and shorter. I didn't think much of it at the time. I will say that it took a really long time to re-fill the coolant and purge out all the air. I didn't get any heat out of the vents until the coolant TEMP was 215 degrees F. The T-Stat opened about then and allowed me to continue filling the system with more coolant. The whole system takes just over 6 Liters. The Fans kicked on around 225 F. And then hovered around 231 F. for a good deal of time. I still wasn't getting good heat! I didn't get why. I turned of the engine, and re-started it. Only then did the heat start pouring out! I thought all was well. So I took of down the road....I instantly saw the Temp gage was to high!It was rapidly closing in on the "H" !! I was on the free-way 495 north in Mass and tried turning the heat on high and coasting with the clutch in. I made it home that way all the while with my Hazards on coasting and speeding up, keeping the gage about at half temp.(which I believe is somewhere in the 230 range. To hot for my likeing!)

So any thoughts? was it my cheap-o T-stat replacement? Or a pre-exsisting issue that I amplified by screwing around with it!? Any ideas? Does this exibit symtoms of a heater core being clogged or gone ary

It could be from that thermostat. Some do come messed up, it's a possibility. You could always throw it in a pot of boiling water to see when it opens.

So, to rule some things out...you may just have an air pocket in the system still.

When the car was running too hot, how were the upper and lower hoses? If one feels as if it's gonna burst and is hot, while another feels cold and squishy, it's probably the thermostat/air in the system.

I had the same prob with my 98gt and I had to buy the t-stat from the stealership. I bought one from napa and car quest and neither worked. The oem ones run about $17.50 and if i remember right you have to buy the gasket also. Like you said there is a large difference in the size between the oem and napa/car quest ones. like Bdubs said you could have a air bubble in the system. hope that helps.

Archived