LegacyGT.com

Interesting Mounting Solution

BryanS

I was looking for a solution to mount my Garmin GPS and happened upon a mounting system. I don't know that it will work very well for my GPS mounting but thought it might be helpful for some of the other components I've seen people mount in their cars, so I figured that I'd share.

http://www.kudausa.com/index.php

They offer some leather wrapped mounting pods that you can attach a variety of things, like satellite radios, gps, cell phone, pda, etc to.

This photo is what led me to the product, used in a mini cooper

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/gallery/data/500/Nuvi_Kuda_001.jpg

They do offer a mount for the Legacy, in black only, and for the OB, in black or in tan. They look the same so the OB tan one might work for the Legacy with tan interior.... I haven't tried the product but thought it might be promising.

This is their offering for the Legacy

http://www.kudausa.com/images/consoles/371.jpg

Right now I just have my GPS suction cupped to the windshield and have it plugged into the power point in the arm rest. I figured that I'd hard wire it sometime but I don't mind the windshield mount.

I thought this looked like it might work for some people that have tried to find a home for their satellite radio controls, etc. They don't offer the dash mount pod like you see in the first photo.... though I wish they did. The only thing they offer for the Legacy is the one in the bottom photo... Incidentally it looks like it can be installed and removed without any sort of permanent mounting, so it might be appealing to someone that is considering doing a permanent mod to their dash, cubby, etc.

Right now I just have my GPS suction cupped to the windshield and have it plugged into the power point in the arm rest. I figured that I'd hard wire it sometime but I don't mind the windshield mount.

Illegal in California to have anything attached to the inside of the windshield... so for us, dash or other mounts are the only way legally we can go.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

It's probably illegal more places than that and we just drive around breaking the law out of ignorance or lack of regard for the law.... I actually stumbled on a mounting system one of the members here is making, that lets you slide a smooth plate inside the cubby and suction cup to it, so I think that will solve my problem nicely.

With the Kuda mount, being that it sits way down near the climate control I can't imagine looking down at the GPS in that location... too far from the road. It might be suited to another mounting task though

Ohio prohibits anything non-transparent being attached to the windshield unless it's required by law, such as mirror or inspection stickers.

It won't make a cop pull you over, but it's valid justification to pull you over if the cop knows you're up to no good but can't otherwise justify a stop. IE, you're in a high drug area but the cop didn't see you in a drug deal, he can pull you over for the GPS and Hey, your car smells like weed...

Illegal in California to have anything attached to the inside of the windshield... so for us, dash or other mounts are the only way legally we can go.

California law was amended in 2008 to allow for the mounting of a GPS in two small squares in the bottom corners of the windshield...7" square on the passenger side and a 5" square on the driver's side.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:DMVw6y7maRIJ:www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs/2008/ca-sb1567.pdf+california+SB+1567&hl=en&gl=us&sig=AHIEtbThhUvUTBwLj_6IvkqnUQ1hDKAwfg

California law was amended in 2008 to allow for the mounting of a GPS in two small squares in the bottom corners of the windshield...7" square on the passenger side and a 5" square on the driver's side.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:DMVw6y7maRIJ:www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs/2008/ca-sb1567.pdf+california+SB+1567&hl=en&gl=us&sig=AHIEtbThhUvUTBwLj_6IvkqnUQ1hDKAwfg

I stand corrected, but my attempts to make that work with my Nuvi, even when I didn't know about this change proved that 1), it was too far away and behind the steering wheel to be helpful and 2) blocked my view to the left-front corner - so I got a dash-bag unit...

What's a dash-bag unit?

Otherwise what's known as a "friction mount". Basically a four-cornered beanbag with anti-slip material on the bottom and an attachment point for the mounting neck.

I use this one with my Nuvi and just move it back and forth between cars. Works great!

cf-lg.jpg.a0044eb95137408b708259b4a1cabd56.jpg

Otherwise what's known as a "friction mount". Basically a four-cornered beanbag with anti-slip material on the bottom and an attachment point for the mounting neck.

I use this one with my Nuvi and just move it back and forth between cars. Works great!

Learned something new. Thanks!

Archived