LegacyGT.com

Swapped foglights to HID's, now the highbeam indicator turns on

i have mix fealings here but i say go with it... i live in montana and i drive alot. there are times in the winter where i can drive 100+ miles and see maybe one car or truck the intire time. i run these roads at 80+ mph at night when its realy cold out so the dear are all sleeping like tonight -10f tonight so i say if your in a place to use them why not...

another thought. if there no good for high beams then there no good for fogs since every time you switch to high beams the fogs turn off.

another thought. if there no good for high beams then there no good for fogs since every time you switch to high beams the fogs turn off.

You can disable that, that's why I call it HIDx6 :cool: Highs+Lows+Fogs.

/threadjack.

Find a solution yet? I figure I might run into the same problem...

NEVER ARGUE WITH A STUPID PERSON.

THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I unfortunately have been really busy with work and stuff and have not been able to put much more time into working on the issue yet. I'm going to try clipping the ground wire from the ballest and grounding it directly. I think this might eliminate the power leak that is getting through the circuit. I will keep you all updated after I try this.

As far as the foglights and brights HID warmup time goes, so far it seems like once they are warmed up you can shut them off for a few seconds and then kick them back on to instant full illumination again as long as they are already warmed up.

JohnyGT'08, just out of curiousity, how do you disable the foglight shutoff?

I'm pretty sure I need resistors, I have a friend who is an installer at a stereo shop and he is going to put together some resistors for me to fix my problem and allow me to run the HID's in my highbeams. I may still swap them back to halogen bulbs but I would like to fix the issue before I decide. I guess he had similar issues with his 2008 Dodge Ram.

Putting HIDs in highs is pointless, the constant on off use that people do with high beams will wear out the ignitor and possibly the bulb, thats why no one does a Xenon only high beam, because it would burn out the balance and why BMW, Merc ect, use a HID low with a little actuator and a halogen assist to use your brights.

Like some one said, it would take to long for them to ignite, and it will burn out the harness fast.

JohnyGT'08, just out of curiousity, how do you disable the foglight shutoff?

Sorry for the delay in answering...but it involves clipping and moving some wires in the harness. There is a write up here somewhere. Basically it makes the fog light switch completely independent. You can turn them on or off no matter what lights are on, or even if none are one.

NEVER ARGUE WITH A STUPID PERSON.

THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 months later...

Ok guys, I aplogize for the long wait but I kind of just left it alone for a long time and never did anything about it. I finally got some time to mess with it more and figured out the issue. With the help of Snopro68 I was able to use deer killer's fully independent fog light mod to fix the issue. When we converted the fogs to independent it eliminated the circuit between the highs and the fogs, thus stopping the high beam indicator from lighting up when the fogs are on.

The fog lights still shut off with the ignition and I am able to run all 6 HID's in the few rare situations where it is safe to do so and I feel the need. I hope that this helps anyone else who may run into similar issues.

Archived