LegacyGT.com

26 miles of wire in the car?

Scruit

The mgr of my local auto parts store was talking to me today about testing my charging system. He mentioned that the average modern car has 26 miles of wiring in it. He repeated this 3x.

Of course this would mean the car would need almost 9,000 wires running the length of the car, which would be a bundle of wires over 10" in diameter. Understandably, I'm not convinced.

Anyone else heard this '26 miles of wiring in the average modern car' thing? Where did that start?

* = 26 (miles) multiplied by 5280 (ft per mile) divided by 15.4 (length of car in ft) = 8914 wires. This would be a square bundle of 95 wires tall by 84 wires wide. I picked 3 random wire sin my engine bay and took the average measuremend of them = 95/1000". This works out to be about a 9" square cross-section. This converts this to a tube that is approx 10.4" diameter.

You never know!

http://yourcableandwirenews.com/prysmian:+5,000+km+of+cables+for+the+largest+cruise+ship+ever,+%E2%80%9Coasis+of+the+seas%E2%80%9D_28779.html

“Oasis of the Seas”, the largest and most revolutionary cruise liner in history, built by the international shipbuilding group STX Europe for Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., will be unveiled today in Florida, USA. Prysmian Cables & Systems has been the only supplier of approximately 5,000 km of energy and telecommunications shipboard cables

"Prysmian manufactures marine cables in 6 different countries (Italy, Germany, Spain, Finland, Turkey and China) and offers a complete range of advanced shipboard products, which include medium and low voltage power cables, instrumentation, control and telecommunication cables, in both standard and fire resistant versions."

That site says the new Oasis of the Seas has 5,000 KM of cable, which is 3,106 miles.

Archived