LegacyGT.com

Blown away by cost of trim pieces

I’d like to replace two trip pieces that came scratched on my slightly used LGT, but am blown away at the price the dealer is going to charge:

The faux-wood trim piece on the passenger side that runs along the center console up the side of the stereo: $164

The plastic flap / door above the radio that covers the compartment where a nav system would be located: $121

Labor: $150

Total: $435.

How can the parts possibly cost so much? The flap is just a little piece of plastic for $121?!

try restoring an old car with genuine parts and you'll realize that those prices are about right. I mean nobody likes to pay them (and you should try to find the cheapest Subaru hookup possible, Fred Beans etc). But if you want it to fit right the first time and have a decent level of build quality you have to go OEM.
On the search for a new DD...

except they probably don't fit as well as stock

R Rev makes top notch stuff (and for $1200 those pieces better fit f***ing perfect). I have the R Rev grill on my car and have some eyelids on the way. I have had good experience dealing with them.

• 1 year later...

Dear Sir:

We have a new to us Legacy with the trim ring and console plastic trim damaged by a previous owner. I read your links to stores and would appreciate any help you may offer finding the trim removal instructions in the forum or any explanation tips/tricks. I have ordered the replacemt parts.

Thank you,

pfrancz

Brother JazzyMT has some pretty good instructions for removing those trim pieces as part of his detailed installation write-up for his aux-in stereo mod. Go to the link below and then download the pdf instructions that he has linked.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/plug-n-play-aux-mod-2005-6cd-radios-18504.html?t=18504

Basically, you have to remove the storage bin between the seats, and work your way forward, next removing the bezel around the shifter and then those pieces you want to get to.

Welcome to the Forum!

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

How can the parts possibly cost so much? The flap is just a little piece of plastic for $121?!

Ditto what everybody else said: buy the parts from Fred Beans or one of the other online dealers and replace them yourself - its pretty easy.

Very generally speaking, MSRP for replacement parts like those are roughly 10x the actual cost that the OEM (Subaru) pays for them. :eek: That mark-up goes towards the costs of storing the service parts for long periods of time and then shipping them to the dealership that needs them. Plus there is a hefty profit margin, of course!

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Archived