LegacyGT.com

Help Restoring Power To a Stored LGT2.5, my first car too.

so i have pretty much just gotton this car. 1996. 170xxx miles, had new engin put in by a legacy engineer, but no clue what was put in, or if the car ran fine after that.

so this is the thread im gonna use for all the problems i am having with the motor:lol:

this is what i got so far from the test drive:

while acceling (just touching pedal, not slamming) the motor appears to die down then hop right back up and continue on its marry way.(its auto(i wanna fix that) so i thought it was a really, really quick downshift.idk thats what it sound like)

this car is not stock. i am very sure as it looked to have strut? sway? i get them mixed up. underhood i saw just a single bar going across the top of the shocks

it has 2 - 2 1/4 exhuast the whole lenght of the car. not sure about the headers(as i said i dont have the car yet. mom is gonna drive bring it somewhere to get a pros opinion:lol:)

also has some after market gauge backround/ dial stuff idk. its white. its cool and backlit color can change from green or blue.

but as of right now i wanna idea of all the possiblitys as to why the motor may do that.

Hey man here is some advice on from what you wanted answered hope i got it all in there haha. If the engine was replaced the most cost effienct way is just to get another engine, saves time, the person who put it in most likely did this as simpler than having to firgure out another wiring harness which can take a good chunk of time. But if he didnt do the direct swap to find out if another ej25(that was meant for the car) or a ej22(from the L models) was put in is to look at the spark plugs, if they are on the top somewhat facing up then you got your ej22 but if the spark plugs are way down on the side horizontally then you got your ej25.

hmmmm for your first question it seems like you might have a bad ground somewhere maybe?? Do you see any lights dimm or anything when touching the pedal like that, it might be a bad ground somewhere and is easily fixed by a grounding kit which is easy as pie to do. It might be fluid levels make sure oil, tranny, diff fluids are all that the right level. Other than that Im out of ideas haha

the metal bar going across the motor is called a strut bars, the sway bars will be found underneath the car is somewhat of a "w" or "u" shaped extending to each side of ur car. the good ones are solid and not hollow. See if he intstalled a rear one, it will be seen in the trunk in the upper back of it.

as for the exhuast 2.5 is for turbo cars and will have our cars loosing power. so the size you have might be good. If they are aftermarket headers they a re usually shiny polished metal and do not have a head shield on them(the stock ones will have will look like this

__n__

--U--

the u and the n are the pipes and the --'s are the heat shield surrounding them.

Gauges are gauges more of a flashy thing if you aren't turbo or packing some serious power, since we arent turbo'ed the working ones are most likely measuring water temp, oil temp and vacuum pressure.

let me know if this helps!

ok i have to wait for tonight t look at the car. that is if we finalize the buy tonight.500bucks. might or might not have a bad battery. its at the shop getting looked over. i hope it goes well. i like this car already. it looks sporty and not like all wimpy looking. i am gonna push from a rally type setup.

i should tonight if the car has know reall real big problems. 500 bucks and is ours

edit. my parents are concerned its just gonna be junk and in 6 months a pile of metal. anoyying. the owner brought it to a shop to be check over so we could get a list of problems. they reply 2 days later with it news 3 new axles and brake job. would cost 1000. not gonna have them do it but NO WAY. i knew it needed axles and brake. they never even put it on the computer, probably never opened the hood

i hate when i always get all hyped up about thing and tell everyone that is happening the next , then the next day, then the next day.. i look stupid. but i think it is almost done with the wait. we just sold our old couch for 500 so thats going right into the subie. just gotta get if from the shop. no tabs. no insurence. and may not pay pay for it till i take a closer look. O and the battery may still be the old one.,,,which was flat out dead. Its Just PERFECT!!!

sweet got the car. so asking questions cause now i can look at what i got. so far i concluded that the spark plugs do point up. i think someone asked that. and on the the vin/motor/tranny number card under that hood i read ej25. but i thought i read that they didnt come with ej's in them so i hope that when they swaped the motor that they swaped that card to. i may be wrong going to go read some more now

edit never mind it is just the stock engine but at least its newer. wikipedia teaches

fianllyyyy hahaha i was begining to unsubscribe you were taking that long :p jk jk

So pointed up spark plugs screams ej22 and not the ej25 that is suppose to be in there. What year is this legacy GT. Usually your not going to get the plackard with the engine's vin number if it was swapped somewhere hidden on the engine (might have to take off your intake to see it) is a little sketched symbol that says ej25( well for my car it does) but it should say the same for your car saying ethier ej22 or ej25.

now when your ran the car's vin did it come back saying ej25?? (just want to make sure someone wasn't trying to turn their L to a GT haha

and where are the pictures you promised hahaha

ight ill get the camera from mum. and ok ill check the ej25 ej22 thing tonight after school. so i just take that huge silver piece of metal of?intake manifold? or the intake with the big black ugly airbox?

+1 for good in interior

-1 for rusted doors

+1 for engine swap

-1 for not knowing a thing about the engine yet.

-1 for foggy headlights

-1 for casset player

+1 for cdplayer

+1 for new hood i beleive. the hood is in perfect shape.

-1 for working as a dishwasher to make money.

Archived