LegacyGT.com

2005 LGT Antenna Connector - Halp!

TriangleX

I did a stupid. In the process of removing the stock audio/climate control unit for installation of the Jazzy Aux-In mod, that last item to disconnect was the antenna. I couldn't quite figure out how to open the connection - no obvious clips. In the process, I got a bit too aggressive with it, and now I am left with a pigtail coming out of the unit with a nicely-stripped coax at the end, and the coupling connectors are still coupled in the car.

Is it just a tight friction fit?

Dunno if it'd be better to just cut those out at this point and re-terminated with my own connectors, but thought the first step might be to get the bit that the pigtail goes to liberated, and see if I can reunite them.

Any thoughts?

[i replied to your thread on NASIOC, but I'll put it here where Legacy/Outback folks will see it]

Yeah, 2005-up Legacy/Outback have that proprietary antenna connection. You have to unlock the latch, then you can pull the two connectors apart. There is a button on one of the narrow sides of the car's cable (the plug that slides part way into the radio's connector). Push the button in, then you can pull the two connectors apart.

You might be able to dissect the connector that pulled off the radio's cables and re-crimp everything on.

Otherwise you'll need to buy the adapter normally used to install an aftermarket radio in the car, cut off the Motorola plug, and graft the coax wire to your OEM radio's coax wire.

Your radio actually has two antennas. If your car's antenna harness also has two, you might want to buy a second adapter and fix both of the radio's wires. If you only want to do it once, you'll need to somehow figure out which of the car's cables goes to the bigger antenna.

[i replied to your thread on NASIOC, but I'll put it here where Legacy/Outback folks will see it]

Yeah, 2005-up Legacy/Outback have that proprietary antenna connection. You have to unlock the latch, then you can pull the two connectors apart. There is a button on one of the narrow sides of the car's cable (the plug that slides part way into the radio's connector). Push the button in, then you can pull the two connectors apart.

You might be able to dissect the connector that pulled off the radio's cables and re-crimp everything on.

Otherwise you'll need to buy the adapter normally used to install an aftermarket radio in the car, cut off the Motorola plug, and graft the coax wire to your OEM radio's coax wire.

Your radio actually has two antennas. If your car's antenna harness also has two, you might want to buy a second adapter and fix both of the radio's wires. If you only want to do it once, you'll need to somehow figure out which of the car's cables goes to the bigger antenna.

Ah, you noticed my shotgun - thanks!

I did manage to separate the connectors - although in my case the tab that releases them is on the car side of the connection. I eventually figured out how to get the crimp connector out - combination of removing a locking insert and holding back a plastic retainer, whereupon it fell out.

Quite an elaborate connection for such a purpose.

I was having trouble with the re-crimp and reattachment of the center conductor, but I think another go at it after first tinning the strands of the center conductor will do it. I just ran out of time today, so I buttoned it up for the week. I'll probably pull 'er back out next week and knock it out.

Archived