LegacyGT.com

Legacy to Legacy GT-B conversion

Greetings all,

I am kinda new here, (not to legacys)

I have a 1991 legacy 1.8L, for 12years, kinda twiked but its retired now (due to an overestimation on my part on the gravel-tarmac grip on a fast corner:mad:)

But I recently bought a 1999 Legacy estate 2.0 auto

So I could install my GT-B engine in it

But this has turned out to be easier said than done.

I cannot find anywhere a manual gearbox for the conversion

My question is this:

must I use the gearbox for this specific engine/car

or can I use a gearbox from a Forester or Impreza?

Its really frustrating as I have all the parts needed to start working on the car except for the darn gearbox, and that's be going on for some time now.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you simply want to run a GTB engine, or make a GTB replica?

If you want to make a replica, you have the wrong car, you need to start with a BG or BD. USDM wagon's are BK's. The only BG's avail in the states are the outbacks. It's simply the roof line, but if making a replica, that's a part of it.

IF you are simply sticking in the running gear, there's nothing wrong with BK's, and there are even some available already in RHD. Just some notes on the twin turbo's though. The engine is impossibly daft, and dificult, over complicated, and unreliable. And further more, only works in RHD vehicles. They are impossible to mod, and have bugger all potential for making much more power than stock. I know, i've owend one, and got so fed up with it i converted it to single turbo. Essentiall a V3 STi engine. They are more or less identical, only one is single turbo, one is twin.

Single turbo runs in LHD's as well, saving you that conversion.

If you want to stick with twin turbo, it has it's advantages. They suit open road and highway driving very well, with an early spool on primary, with a whopping STi style kick on secondary. VOD can be controlled easily with a zerosports sequential controller, and of course, there is the bragging rights of owning a "twin turbo". But that's about all it is, bragging rights.

My recomendation is to go with a BE/BH engine, specifically, the EJ208 (NOT the EJ206). They seem to have a bit more of a kick, VOD is better controlled, and not so noticable, the turbo's are bigger, and the engines are FAR more reliable, and are actually OBD-2, which makes the wiring conversion easier with post 96 USDM BG/BK/BD's, as BG engines are OBD-1 and not so compatible with the US wiring.

Archived