LegacyGT.com

2011 BMW 5 Series

I partially blame safety/emissions regulations for making cars bigger, bulkier, and heavier

Americans are demanding more features. Heated/cooled/powered seats weigh more. 16 speakers weigh more. Sound deadening insulation weighs more. Furthermore, I think that automakers think that we are afraid of smaller engines and there is some truth to that. However, Audi has shown us with their 2.0L T and 3.0L TFSI units that you can have efficient and fast in the same package. The BMW 3.0L TT is a nice unit too of course, but not looking at the #s for comparison I don't know if it is as good overall as say the A6 3.0L.

Seriously though, the new 7 has optional massaging front seats.

1. I wonder how much that weighs.

2. I didn't think it was even legal to have a massaging drivers seat because one might get too comfortable, not pay attention, and crash. Or just plain fall asleep, I know that I might.

Seriously though, the new 7 has optional massaging front seats.

1. I wonder how much that weighs.

2. I didn't think it was even legal to have a massaging drivers seat because one might get too comfortable, not pay attention, and crash. Or just plain fall asleep, I know that I might.

The 7 has had seat massage optional since the last generation car. Honestly not worth the money in my opinion, but to each his own. I tried it once in one of our in stock 7's and frankly did not care for it very much. No idea how much extra weight it added though. While I think it is great that so many options are available (freedom of choice for consumers!), many options have no value to me. Massaging seats, and laser cruise control are two that I find to be especially worthless.

Now heated and cooled seats are great though!

Archived