LegacyGT.com

Cruise Control

I've got an '05 Legacy, the cruise hasn't worked since I bought it (Approx. a month). A friend said to reset the computer by disconnecting the negative battery cable and pressing the brake for 30 seconds. To let the power drain and reset the computer. I did this, and the cruise started working....for a little while. Was going down the interstate and it stopped again. Did the same thing (reset the computer) and this again fixed it for a while and again it stopped.... Any ideas? I've checked fuses, no error codes or check engine lights. Just stops working.. HELP! :confused:

You know, I just picked mine up a couple nights ago and the cruise control is kinda weird on it. Had a 2+ hour drive home and it worked fine for half the trip then I could set it and it seemed to not hold after varying amounts of time. Hmmm... :confused:

Guest PeteAWD
I worked in dealerships for many years, not any longer. The techs always told me to NEVER disconnect the battery to reset check engine codes or to correct other issues. In effect, you might be just masking the underlying problem more. In my opinion, just an opinion, the ECM or TCM may need to be reflashed by an authorized dealer.

The cruise control gets disabled whenever a CEL is displayed, but it may under some circumstances be enough to get a code that doesn't trigger the CEL.

If the problem persists I would suggest reading the codes. It may be that a sensor is erratic.

453747.png

• 1 month later...

This recently began happening in my '05. I have a manual and I have narrowed the issue down to a sensor related to the stick shift.

I first noticed it when I went to change the radio station cruise would shut off... a bump or pressure on the stick shift ultimately was the cause.

It has gotten worse as of late and I sometimes have to beat the crap out of the shifter to get it to work again.

I haven't had the time to dig into it, but there is a sensor in there somewhere that assumes I'm trying to shift even with the lightest of bumps.

Archived