LegacyGT.com

best performance muffler?

oh god, california. good luck even getting them shipped to you. ive seen on soooooo many performance websites : WILL NOT SHIP TO CA ADDRESS. you might be able to get away with buying them on ebay. and as for your question, just doing a header does not reduce emmisions, it just increases exhaust flow, so you should be ok

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone know if the Borla Headers are CARB Legal in California?

As long as they're not too picky about the visual inspection you should be okay. Since it's AWD, they just sniff the tailpipe, since AWD smog dynos aren't mandatory just yet. Should pass the sniffer test just fine.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Borla Header is not CARB exempt in CA. You will fail visual inspection if the smog techs go by the rule book. And believe me.. they have been very picky because CARB and BAR recently have step up their game on monitoring smog stations by setting up hidden cameras near-by. Its a felony if smog tech is caught doing "clean piping".

Borla Header is not CARB exempt in CA. You will fail visual inspection if the smog techs go by the rule book. And believe me.. they have been very picky because CARB and BAR recently have step up their game on monitoring smog stations by setting up hidden cameras near-by. Its a felony if smog tech is caught doing "clean piping".

But, unless the hidden camera is looking under the car, the tech can look, shine his/her light at the bottom and just "ignore" the header... one would think ;);)

I have a question, I know nothing of California laws and what not. Why would putting the headers on cause it to fail if the cats are still on. What changes from the stock pipes to the header other than the EQ and UEQ lengths?

Where I live they are not very strict at all. A state inspection takes maybe 5 to 10 minutes 15 to 20 if you find one that actually pulls the brakes and checks the suspension. I refused to pay once because I knew they didn't check everything they should have.

Does anyone know of some headers that will fit on a 95 Legacy, 2.2 liter? I'm not coming across any on Ebay.

If the heads are dual-point, then any of the 2nd gen 2.5L NA headers should work.

Dual-port (sorry) - each of the cylinder's exhaust flows through a 2-hole manifold, into the collector pipe vs just a 1-hole pipe for each cylinder

I was searching online last night and found some good information on headers and exhaust for N/A Subaru engines along with a bunch of sound clips. The only catch is that they are all from Impreza RS forum, so no Legacies but I would imgine most of the information and sound would be very close as they are still 2.2 and 2.5 Subaru engines. The information I found was on the RS25 forum, some of those guys have some really nice cars almost as nice as a Legacy.

The reviews of the knock off ebay headers were mixed some loved them and some said not to waste your money. The sound clips sounded dead on for the Borla and the knock offs. Though according to those guys finding a good equal length header will give you better power increases but not sound as good as the UEL ones.

stage 2 wrx headers custom 2 1/4" stainless straight pipe all the way back to a wrx muffler soon to be a stock sti muffler. + cai = awesome sound:)

But unless you're "boosted", you're looking at a loss of power all the way across the power band.

no boost i hate turbos. but i do have a 2.7L with cams, high comp pistons, and 750cc injectors so....

Well, there you go then... you'll need that extra exhaust headroom...

i dont know yet i havent been able to do a proper tune or get to a awd dyno but the pros that helped me put it together think 200-250 @ the wheels for now but that should go up when its tuned properly

You should see close to 280 AWD when/if tuned properly.

You should see close to 280 AWD when/if tuned properly.

my goal with this build was a non turbo evo killer. i wanted 300 @ the wheels but then i would need at least a sti tranny and rite now i have a wrx 5spd (not that great) ive broken 3 of those:( so until i can upgrade the tranny again im going to run E85 and the limiter is set @ 7k. eventualy i want to see if i can push it to sti redline 8200 and still get acceleration, and run a street setup of 93 and a race setup of 110. people have been telling me stuff about methanol injection but i dont realy understand alot about that.

Archived