LegacyGT.com

high idle on start?

Recently I've noticed that my car idles when starting at about 1600 - if I wait in the car for 2-3 minutes for it to warm, the car will stay at 1600.

If I blip the motor, the car will come back down to 8-900 - what is happening?

I've checked the idle set screw, and even lubed the throttle body where the pedal cable and cruise cable attach - what's going on?

I honestly thought this was a "warm-up feature" or something. The car will do it for like a minute and then the revs will gradually come down as the car warms up. I honestly think it's just warming up the car quicker. If you blip the throttle or shift the car into drive, it comes down - I guess since it figures you're going to drive now so it will act normal. I usually shift into drive and then flick it to neutral for a second to let the revs come down (since it takes a few seconds) that way the car doesn't jolt into gear.

But yeah, I think the car is just warming up until you start driving.

Maybe not tho, it's done that for the whole time I've had the car anyway (which started at like 180-190k tho, lol.

• 2 weeks later...
Same thing in my 2001. Although when I press in the clutch, it seems to make it rev even higher which seems kinda weird to me as well.

Well I would guess this is becaue there is less resistance on the engine and the revs go even higher. Mine does the same thing as the rest of you. In the cold it revs up. Give it a minute and then tap the gas and it comes back down again. Where does the idle settle for you guys? Mine is about 500rpms and smooth once its warm. If I try to put it in gear and move away while its still reving the engine doesnt like it too much. Its grumbles at me a bit. I heard about cleaning the IAC. Anyone try this?

Well I would guess this is becaue there is less resistance on the engine and the revs go even higher. Mine does the same thing as the rest of you. In the cold it revs up. Give it a minute and then tap the gas and it comes back down again. Where does the idle settle for you guys? Mine is about 500rpms and smooth once its warm. If I try to put it in gear and move away while its still reving the engine doesnt like it too much. Its grumbles at me a bit. I heard about cleaning the IAC. Anyone try this?

Yeah, until it warms up, I think it still idles a bit higher, so it makes the whole car vibrate a bit in gear once I come to a stop, until it warms up.

Mine normally idles somewhere around 6-700 RPM. I've actually got some issue I need to resolve. SOMETIMES when I come to a stop the car seems sick and I realize it's because it's idling at 500 and running rough. Then after a few minutes it goes back to idling a bit higher and everything's fine. I think the IACV is being a bit finicky....

Archived