LegacyGT.com

mom's looking for a car...

ladysmanfelpz

so my mom drives a previous generation honda odyssey. I have a legacy and my whole family loves the AWD and my siblings are always trying to drive my car. We live in Spokane in eastern Washington where we get quite a bit of snow, so she wants an AWD. She likes cars that sit a little higher, easy to get into and good ground clearance, but not too big like a big escalade,and road noise really bothers here. She complains about how loud the odyssey is. So what is a good small suv out there that my mom will like? She wants slightly used, like 2 years old tops probably, or new. I want her to go 06 obxt cuz they are sick. And idk get why the other versions of the outback weight like 800 lbs more than the xt? Or a forester. She is also looking at the chevy equinox and some mitsubishis.

Took a test drive of the 2010 outback 2.5i (to get the outback detergent:p) It is BIG difference in road noise compared to my 04 outback l.l bean edition with top of the line michalan tires on. the ride quality is pretty much the same as mine nice, smooth and relaxing. Alot more leg room for driver and passenger than mine (im a tall guy and i was able to feel pretty comfy sitting). Other than that not much of a different then my outback other than design and xeon projector:wub:

If she looking for hieght ride the outback or forester are the winners over the lgts. When i drive the outback and then get into my lgt i sorta fall into it as I sit sorta low haha.

Guest heightsgtltd

No offense Westcoast, but the 05 was a huge improvement over the 04 you have so it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison unless your LGT is 05+

I'd also throw in a Tribeca if she wants to ride higher. Used ones can be had for very good prices

And idk get why the other versions of the outback weight like 800 lbs more than the xt?

I believe you are mistaken here. Are you comparing gross vehicle weight rating with curb weight? Curb weight is the weight of the vehicle with all fluids and a full tank of gas. Curb weight + payload = gross vehicle weight rating.

ya i know. just seeing what ppl had to say. So what other small suv's should we go check out?

The Toyota Highlander, Toyota RAV4, Honda Pilot, Honda CRV, Nissan Murano, and a few other crossovers spring to mind.

Just about any of them will be more than adequate for her needs. I know from a couple of test drives that the Highlander is very quiet, but also very boring to drive. Good power though with the 3.5L V6.

Another vehicle worth consideration is the new Toyota Venza. With AWD available and the pretty strong 3.5L V6 it is the closest competitor I can think of with the new Outback. Price range is roughly the same, size is about the same. Honestly she won't go wrong with any of the vehicles I listed.

No offense Westcoast, but the 05 was a huge improvement over the 04 you have so it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison unless your LGT is 05+

I'd also throw in a Tribeca if she wants to ride higher. Used ones can be had for very good prices

well im just comparing my 04 to the 2010, i never drove a 05-09 so i dont know. and of course there is going to be huge differences between the two, if you debage them both the average person will think they are two totally different cars, the interior is more tech savy, the astetics of the whole car have improved greatly since then. If i was interested in buying the car I would of paid more attention but hey i was just there for the detergent lol:lol:

• 4 weeks later...

You know I have to say - I was impressed with my Mom's 2010 Ford Escape. It rides real nice, comfortable, good on gas even with the 6 cyl. She got a great deal too - 25.5k with leather, sync radio, roof, 6 cyl, etc. It was also the easiest vehicle to get in and out of. I was truly shocked!

It may be worth a look. I see a ton of old escapes still on the road too - so there is some staying power with these.

Archived