LegacyGT.com

Exhaust Piping Questions

mcstiffe12

I am looking to do some upgrades on my car's exhaust system. I recently purchased a set of Perrin cans and I am looking to have new mid and y piping fabricated. Also, I am considering the possibly of replacing my downpipe. I want to increase my performance but not be considerably loud and to pass Pennsylvania emissions.

Option 1:

The fabricator suggested starting at the end of the 1st piece of the OEM downpipe and running new 3" all the way back to the Perrin cans with 2.5" flanges to mate. With this option, I will be eliminating my 2nd cat on my downpipe. I am wondering how noticeable the car will be and will pass emissions? Is this considered Stage 1.5 or Stage 2?

Option 2:

Replacing just the mid and y pipes with new 3" that will be connected to my OEM downpipe. With this option, will I need a donut flange to mate to my OEM downpipe? Just wondering about the connections.

Option 3:

Purchase a Crucial Downpipe with Cat and use the new 3" fabricated piping. Same question, about how noticeable the car will be and will pass emissions?

My final questions are do new downpipes (Invidia, Perrin, Cobb, Crucial) have donut flanges and would a new 3" mid pipe fabricated need a donut flange or just a normal 3" flange? I know the OEM connection between the downpipe and piping is a donut gasket.

Depends on the DP and CBE. Cobb uses a 2.5" connection on their DP. All others are 3". SPT uses a 2.5" connection on their CBE, all others are 3". So, if using a Cobb DP with an SPT CBE all factory connections and gaskets are used. If using a 3" DP to a SPT CBE you need an adapter ($35) and a 3" gasket and a donut gasket. If using a 3" DP to a 3" CBE you just need a 3" flat gasket. Most DP's come with the flat gasket. The flange and donuts are available (cheapest) from Fred Beans.

As for the inspection, I had no issues in NY when I was there and I have a stage 2.5 LGT 5EAT. Cobb catted DP, AVO TMIC, SPT CBE, etc. All they look for is codes and throw in a sniffer. No one looked at pipes or checked for cats.

option 3! but I say buy my ridiculously cheap invidia catted downpipe in the fs. section. I'll even throw in a spare 3" flange and your fabricator can do the rest.

As for emissions it would just depend on NY rules/laws. Here in Texas there must be a cat present (visual inspection) and the car gets plugged in..no codes and you pass.

in some states replacement of any portion of the emissions system may fail you. others are really lax.

maybe some locals up you way can chime in.

The OP is fine on the smog check/inspection. NY is pretty lax. no visual, just a sniffer and code check. But I see that the location is NY, but wants to pass Penn emissions. Not sure about Penn laws.

Sounds like a good deal on the DP, good luck with the sale. OP might want to check this out.

Archived