LegacyGT.com

Driving and the wind

I was driving this morning in the storm that is cover Va. alot of rain and wind. I noticed that the car gets tossed alot in the wind, is that common with these cars? I have a friend that has a 07 2.5i and she says that her car gets tossed around the same in high wind. I am used to my truck and it never seemed to be affected as much. I know it weighs a fair amount more. I am mainly just wondering if this is a normal trait of these cars so I can just be aware of it.

Thanks for any and all input.

I know this is of diminutive merit, but i have a 98 wagon and i just drove from edmonton to vancouver (1300kms aprox). And i went through a section just past the mountains in kamloops, and there was intense wind. The car could NOT barely do 140km/h going DOWN hill on a 5% grade. I had thought the engine gave up, but i pulled over and it was windy as hell.

my hood on the side where it meets the fenders looked like it was going to fly back and smash the windshield, even in calm conditions on hwy speeds.

But back on the subject, driving the whole way back, i did NOT notice any major unstability from crosswinds.

I think a little more toe in up front would help alleviate this issue, but I think it's just because these cars are so light. Thinner tire sidewalls would probably also help, along with fresh control arm bushings up front. Especially with a wagon, the frontal area in a crosswind is HUGE. This means huge drag, which is what your feeling.

Archived