LegacyGT.com

'98 2.5L legacy OB intermittent overheating

My '98 2.5L legacy OB with 97k miles has an over heating problem. symptom; driving for 2 weeks temp gage is always art the same position. The heater starts blowing cold air and the temp gage spikes to hot. I stop the engine for 30 seconds, restart, I get hot air and the temp gage goes to normal. not leaking anti-freeze. no water in the oil, no oil in the radiator. water pump is not leaking or squealing. replaced thermostat and radiator cap. Any ideas? has anyone heard of any head gasket recalls? Thanks for you consideration, Jim

Would a compression test give you a better idea if it's a head gasket issue? From what you say (minus the mixing), sounds like it MIGHT be a head gasket. I've known people to run on them several hundred miles before NEEDing to change them. Best to be done ASAP though.

A leak down test would tell you if its a head gasket. Have you checked the coolant level in the radiator, not the overflow bottle? You could be getting air in the system from two things: had gasket or recent coolant service where the system wasn't 'burped' properly. Hope it's the latter. Could also be a cracked head or block, but that's not very likely. Steve

A compression test isn't as good - you can easily get good compression in the cylinder with the blown HG. A leak down test puts compressed air in the cylinder and measures any pressure leak. With a blown HG it can put air bubbles in the system which would be a telltale sign of a blown HG. Steve

• 4 weeks later...
Hey, I had the SAME problem and it WAS a pin-hole in the Head Gasket. I bought the car used, and as soon as that Florida Summer hit, so did the overheating. I went through the same run-around and I know how annoying it is. It all gets better once you change out the head gasket though. Once I had my guys do that I've had no problems and have been adding aftermarket parts to it like crazy now with no problems and a wonderfully efficient, and expencively new, cooling system. Good luck!

Archived