LegacyGT.com

Fiberglass Lip Fitament

Hey guys,

I just finished up on an oil change, and figured while i had my nose up (tires on 4X4s) now would be a good time to put on a Fiberglass Front Lip that i recently picked up off of another member. (note i acquired the lip new- never installed).

It seems that the fitting is pretty good, but there are a couple spots where it wont line up. I can bend the lip to make the holes line up but am afraid to do so. I dont believe the stress will make it crack....but you never know (fiberglass can be pretty weak from my understanding).

Ill need to bend it as much as a couple inches in some spots to get the holes on the lip to line up with the holes in the bottom of the bumper skin. Will such bends and stress cause my lip to slowly crack over time (especially in the cold weather).

Pls help with some suggestions as im really looking to safely fit this lip on my car. Thanks

I don't know what lip you have,but many times non OEM body parts need finagaling to fit. Bending fiberglass a "few inches" is generally not a good idea. Drilling new holes is the better option. Without photos it's kind of hard to know what issues you are having.

Had i seen this post at 2:46pm,i would have advised you to leave the lip off till Spring. But i and many forum members are at work,so excuse me for

not rushing to your aid.

no worries, my friend.... my previous response was meant to be taken in a sarcastic fashion. Its merely as a personification of thought in that realistically few if any ppl would have time to respond during the day, however when you are that member in need you expect the world to go on hold for you until you can successfully fit your lip on your car. no malice intended as i appreciate the help of all information and informers available on this site....

The lip is on my car as of now...the best way to describe how i fit it i guess is that i had to bend the ends together (near the wheel welds)..... kind of like pinching a boomerang.

I have 4 bolts on each side stretching from the fog lights to the wheel welds. Initially I tried to tape the lip to my bumper and then screw it in from the driver side to the passanger side. Fail #1. I took the bolts out and tried to secure the 2 ends (near the wheel welds) first, then work my way inward. Realizing that the inner most holes (below the fog lights) probably were the most important (as far as keeping the lip on the bumper) and couldnt be lined up, i un bolted the lip again. Fail #2. I then tried a few other things in between, which i really dont remember the method to my madness. Say Fail #3,4 & 5. Eventually what I did was re tape the lip to my bumper then proceed to bolt the innermost hole on each side (fog light hole). once those were secured on each side, I worked each hole towards the wheel weld (driver side first) untill I reached the ends...everntually bringing me to the pinched boomerang type fitament with one hole on each side (#2 on driver side & #3 on passanger side) that I couldnt get to line up.

I may take the piece off as the snow starts to fall, in hopes of prolonging its life and adding another element to my "winter mode". But honestly, after these struggles Id prefer to leave it be, now that its on. In summation, there is some stress on the fibeglass to get it to contour perfectly to my bumper and line up with 75% of the holes (6/8). Will this significantly affect the material and perhaps cause it to crack over time? I know the description is kind of vague, but I rly explained it as best as possible. I can provide pics tomorrow, but dont think they will show much as I lack a nice camera. I will try and make my 3.0 mega-pixel cameraphone suffice.

I don't have much first hand experience with fiberglass,but it sounds like you have the part mounted with a fair bit of tension on it. I think that would remove what little give that material would have.Should you bump something lightly the outcome may be a cracked lip. I still advise removing the lip before snow comes,either do it now or let the snow do it for you.

Lip was *finally* secured correctly. it took about 3 hours of finagling to get right and still is only secured by 6 of 8 bolts. Oh well.

Thanks to everyone for the input and suggestions!!!!!!!! What great contributors we have on this site....

Ya know,,you mite have gotten a few more responses if you happened to mention WHAT KIND OF LIP IT WAS! PICS mita helped but you were in too much of a hurry.

I'm sure we all are sorry we didn't get back to you in a timely manner to help you install a pc of crap knockoff lip.Grow up :rolleyes:

no worries, my friend.... my previous response was meant to be taken in a sarcastic fashion. Its merely as a personification of thought in that realistically few if any ppl would have time to respond during the day, however when you are that member in need you expect the world to go on hold for you until you can successfully fit your lip on your car. no malice intended as i appreciate the help of all information and informers available on this site....

Once again, id like to point out that my response was sarcastic. Sense of humor much? :confused: Anyways, if i had information on the lip, I would share it. All i know is that its fiberglass and doesnt fit perfectly. Oh, and it cost me $180 (mounting included) Now that its on, i think it looks good, not like a POC. And at 22, your right I have many yrs ahead of me and some maturing to do....however, for life advice, ill stick to taking it from people who I know are real. I appreciate your kind words, and wish you luck with your car and mods as well ;)

Archived