LegacyGT.com

91 or 93

quick4dr

you should put in whatever premium is in your area. not the highest octane you can find, just regular premium for your area. Unless you live in CA, then you might as well piss in your tank cause the gas is no better.

Fixed for you Mike. Wasn't saying to buy 93 cause its more expensive. In CA the "good" gas is crap and the stuff that comes in from Mexico is either half water or half dirt. When I was in NY, Sunoco 93 was like a godsend. 91 is fine as long as the refinery is clean, lol.

^ I hear you My last race gas sponsor was Sunoco, but none on the west coast. I see the OP is in "Rockland". If this is Rockland County NY, I recommend the Sunoco 93. When my LGT was in the tri-state area it ate ONLY Sunoco 93 for the entire year it was there. YUMMY!

You dick, I am sooooooo jealous. Cost avg $3.30 for 91 and it is crap at that. Plus I have to fill it myself, where in Jersey you don't. Self serve is friggin illegal in Jersey. Damn I miss the east coast gas.

Just left Pearl River in July. Home town. Rockland County Rules!

oct ratings arent the same in every state either. like 91 in jersey is prolly 92 in TX since jersey is at a higher elevation.

This better explains it...

In the Rocky Mountain (high altitude) states, 85 AKI is the minimum octane, and 91 AKI is the maximum octane available in fuel. The reason for this is that in higher-altitude areas, a typical naturally-aspirated engine draws in less air mass per cycle due to the reduced density of the atmosphere. This directly translates to less fuel and reduced absolute compression in the cylinder, therefore deterring knock. It is safe to fill up a carbureted car that normally takes 87 AKI fuel at sea level with 85 AKI fuel in the mountains, but at sea level the fuel may cause damage to the engine. A disadvantage to this strategy is that most turbocharged vehicles are unable to produce full power, even when using the "premium" 91 AKI fuel. In some east coast states, up to 94 AKI is available [1]. In parts of the Midwest (primarily Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois and Missouri) ethanol based E-85 fuel with 105 AKI is available [2]. Often, filling stations near US racing tracks will offer higher octane levels such as 100 AKI.

California fuel stations will offer 87, 89, and 91 AKI octane fuels, and at some stations, 100 AKI or higher octane, sold as racing fuel. Until summer 2001 before the phase-out of methyl tert-butyl ether aka MTBE as an octane enhancer additive, 92 AKI was offered in lieu of 91.

Generally, octane ratings are higher in Europe than they are in North America and most other parts of the world. This is especially true when comparing the lowest available octane level in each country. In many parts of Europe, 95 RON (90-91 AKI) is the minimum available standard, with 97/98 RON being higher specification (being called Super Unleaded).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating#Examples_of_octane_ratings

oct ratings arent the same in every state either. like 91 in jersey is prolly 92 in TX since jersey is at a higher elevation.

91= 91 and 92=92 in the USA

they simply don't offer the higher rated fuels in some areas.

you kids and your $2+/gal maxing out at 94oct gasoline.

E85 is $1.89 here. (105oct)

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

^ Rub it in. Here's some meat tenderizer, make sure to use it next time.

There is 1 count em 1 e85 station within 200 miles of my house (and it isn't $1.89). I would have better luck getting the guys at the airport to sell me AV gas.

Archived