LegacyGT.com

Whine from front tire, 07 LGT

blaitarch

I have an automatic 2007 Subaru Legacy GT with 29,500 miles. My front driver side wheel or tire is making a significant whining noise. I have been noticing this noise for a week or two, and the car is going in for 30K service this Wed.

I am trying to do some investigation this weekend, and here are my symptoms:

Car is making whining noise from front driver side wheel

Does not seem to be replicated on front passenger side

Seems to go away in about the time it takes me to drive to work and from work (10-15 min, 5 city miles)

To investigate these things, I drove ~5 minutes to an abandoned building/parking lot in my area and when I drive with the building on my left I can hear the noise reflecting off. I can't hear the noise when I drive with the building on the right (doesn't necessarily mean it isn't there, I know). I did this for a minute, then I leave for city roads for ~10 minutes and return. When I return and drive the same building and parking lot, the noise is no longer there. BTW, the noise really doesn't sound like metal on metal, such as a old or bad brakes, I can't hear it with the windows up, and I don't know if it lessens at higher speeds as engine and road noise don't let me hear it.

Google (:rolleyes:) seems to indicate the likeliest components are wheel bearing and differential?

I understand I can check the bearing by jacking up my car and seeing if the wheels turn while jacked up and in neutral?

Because the vehicle doesn't display the symptoms after being used, I'm afraid I'll get it to the dealer this Wed and won't be able to duplicate the problem after my trip (~30 highway miles).

• 2 weeks later...

From what I imagine cards in bicycle spokes would be like, this is nothing like that. I'm not denying that top of the list is the wheel bearing, but unless the dealer can replicate (which it couldn't), nothing is going to get fixed. Anyone have any ideas about getting this problem to replicate?

Check out this thread about wheel bearings. I hear this on my 06LGT.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29948

Archived