LegacyGT.com

Steering Wheel Audio Controls on a 2009 Single Disk Player

BryanS

Okay,

So there are several threads discussing the addition of audio controls to the steering wheel, when the car wasn't originally equipped with them. I've searched and read and read and searched. I finally broke down and ordered the part to add the controls to my steering wheel in my 2009 Legacy 2.5i SE with the single disk HK head unit. I got it installed, but found that, while the controls illuminated, they did not function. Other posts seem to indicate that it was plug and play on the 6 disk head units, or that in prior model years you could splice up some wires to make the controls work, but these all involved slightly different equipment.

That was a year ago and I haven't bothered to remove the controls from the wheel at this point. I'm starting to get curious again as to whether the problem is a result of the head unit not supporting the buttons, or if there are just some wires missing in the harness that can be wired in. As I mentioned, my searching seems to indicate that on some model years it was possible to run some wires and get the controls working with the head unit.

I'd be happy to run wires, but I don't have a great understanding of what I'd need to splice. I've installed many car stereos, granted that it's been probably 5 years, and also done a few alarms and remote starters. I don't have much fear of my ability to find wires or make connections, but it's always been helpful to know what wire you're looking for. Even in an alarm install, testing a wire while toggling a door switch would at least tell you what the wire did so you could eventually find the one you need.

I'm also considering just replacing my head unit with the 6 disk unit, though I don't have much desire to do this... I just really would like working steering wheel controls and this might be another means to that end. If I do this, I suspect that I'd need to buy a head unit and a new bezel (for the load button on the 6 disk changer to fit through). Anyone ever seen these parts for sale on the board? I've checked eBay and the board here but haven't seen them selling other than one that is listed here now.

I'm curious if anyone out there can help me explore a bit and figure out if it's possible to wire this thing up and make it work with the existing stereo. I know there have been several members that have been interested and probably many more that have read "sorry, it doesn't work" and never posted or got past that point.

I'd be glad to pull the head unit or look through the wiring to try to gather info, but I'm not sure this is something I can solve on my own.

Here's a thread that discusses how you can wire up the controls to work, posted in 2006 so it's obviously an older model car ---> http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26232

This thread is what prompted me to try the mod and discusses how it works with the 6 disk player -----> http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66619

This thread has a bit of discussion as well -----> http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122281

I wanted to consolidate all this info as it pertains to the 2009 HK single disk head unit

• 3 weeks later...

BryanS, I'm in exactly the same position as you. I have no clue if it's a wiring issue, although I would kinda be surprised given the 08 wrx plug-and-play nature of the upgrade. Still, if older Legacies had to run new wiring maybe we do too?

What I'm leaning towards trying is buying a double-din bezel and 08/09 wrx head unit, either single or 6 disk, since the Legacy 6-disk unit is tied to the auto-hvac of the higher trim levels. If there's a 6-disk for Legacy that works with manual hvac let me know...

I have no clue if the wrx head unit is compatible, though. Don't even really know where to start about finding out, except for just buying one and trying it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fairly sure that recent year Impreza and Forester wheels and HUs use the same resistor values as recent Legacy/Outbacks. The same steering wheel pods are used in all four models. When you Google the part number 83154AG001, one of the hits is this cross-reference on OpposedForces.com

I've found service manuals for both Impreza and Legacy that list the same resistances:

22 Ω  - Mute
 90 Ω  - Volume up
200 Ω  - Volume down
360 Ω  - Mode
690 Ω  - Seek up
1.15k Ω - Seek down

4.7k Ω  - Nothing pressed

Although earlier Legacy/Outbacks do have part of the wiring missing between the wheel and the radio, I think that recent models are connected all the way through.

You can do a fairly simple test to find out -- pull your radio, unplug the car's i85 harness, and measure the resistance across the two SWC pins. You don't even need to turn the key on. See the pin-out here. Insert your test probes (or small-gauge wires with stripped ends) from the rear of the harness.

If you see the above resistor values, that means you have all the wiring (and the problem is the single-disc HU).

The tricky part of using an Impreza or Forester HU is that you can't use one from a 2008-up Impreza or 2009-up Forester -- that's where Subaru changed to ones with faceplates that are wider than standard DIN. For the earlier double-DIN HUs, you'll need to make an adapter, since the 8-pin aux/SWC harness is different than in the Legacy/Outback. Fortunately, the 14-pin radio harness is the same.

You could get the double-DIN Navi unit from a 2008-up Impreza or Forester. It would mean more wiring fun (the Navi has an additional 24-pin connector with the SWC, Aux, and nav-related wires on it), but it's certainly do-able. I can help with both the 24-pin and 8-pin harnesses.

One side effect of the JDM A/C panel mod that's become popular is that Legacy/Outback owners will be unloading their OEM auto-A/C HUs. So there's a good chance that you can pick one up for less than what a dealer would want for a new one.

Legacy/Outacks since 2005 have had radios with SWCs, so you also have better odds of finding one from a car parts seller.

The tricky part of using an Impreza or Forester HU is that you can't use one from a 2008-up Impreza or 2009-up Forester -- that's where Subaru changed to ones with faceplates that are wider than standard DIN. For the earlier double-DIN HUs, you'll need to make an adapter, since the 8-pin aux/SWC harness is different than in the Legacy/Outback. Fortunately, the 14-pin radio harness is the same.

You could get the double-DIN Navi unit from a 2008-up Impreza or Forester. It would mean more wiring fun (the Navi has an additional 24-pin connector with the SWC, Aux, and nav-related wires on it), but it's certainly do-able. I can help with both the 24-pin and 8-pin harnesses.

One side effect of the JDM A/C panel mod that's become popular is that Legacy/Outback owners will be unloading their OEM auto-A/C HUs. So there's a good chance that you can pick one up for less than what a dealer would want for a new one.

Legacy/Outacks since 2005 have had radios with SWCs, so you also have better odds of finding one from a car parts seller.

Thanks again for your input here and elsewhere...

Is it possible to use the OEM auto-A/C HU in a manual-A/C car?? If that's doable, then that is probably exactly how I would do this, but I was under the impression that they were totally incompatible?

Totally incompatible. The auto A/C panel talks to an A/C control module that's completely different, which in turn actuates all of the servos and motors in that kind of car. Your manual controls push/pull rods that physically move the air mix doors.

(sorry -- I guess I was thinking one of you had a single-CD with auto A/C controls, so you would have been able to swap with someone who pulled their 6-CD)

But you can still get the dash kit for cars with manual A/C and install a 2007 Impreza/Forester double-DIN HU (or, for that matter, an aftermarket HU and use one of the PAC steering wheel interface modules).

Archived