LegacyGT.com

1998 Legacy Outback Wagon/Gas Leak

My wife had her car filled up on Friday. When I got home that night I could smell gas strongly but didn't think much about it. Saturday morning we were going out to do some errands and the smell was still there. Taking a peek under the car I could see gas dripping down the from the last bend in the goodneck on the tank. It looks like it's coming from up above (hole in the gooseneck?) The pipe looks very rusty. Is this replaceable or does it mean a whole new gas tank?

This car doesn't get driven much -- about 4 miles a day round trip to take her to work and back and then weekend errands. The battery and alternator were just replaced as the was the rear brake lines and knock sensor. Car runs good and has less than 80000 miles on it. Two years ago I bought wheels and tires for it as the original wheels were clearcoat was flaking badly and one rim had a slow leak that we could never get rid of...

I'm thinking it might be new car time but wanted to check in here first.

A new vehicle would see the same usage patterns unless I gave her my leggy and bought myself a spec B.

Matt

I have a '95 Legacy Outback with the same problem. Garage said it was brake fluid and put in a compression fitting (yuk). But it's really gas. So is it called a filler neck at the parts dept., and how tough is it to get at it - does the car have to be jacked up, and how tough is it to remove/replace? THANKS!!

• 8 months later...

If it is just the fuel filler neck that needs to be replaced, it is a simple job. The garage might charge you about $300 to do it, or you can do it yourself.

INSTRUCTIONS:

BEFORE YOU START

OPTIONAL RUST PROOFING (UNLESS YOU REALLY LIKE DOING THIS REPAIR FREQUENTLY)

- On the new pipe - sprayed the top (top facing, not where the gas cap goes!) and around where the other one rusted out with undercoating (or bed liner spray) and let it dry while working on removing the bad one.

REMOVE RUSTED FILLER NECK

1) you need the car on stands with the wheel off

2) remove plastic cover (watch out for falling sand and rust!)

3) Open up the gas cap and remove those three bolts you see. That's how the top part is held in.

4) Remove all the screws and remove all the tubes (vent and recirculation lines) you see in the wheel well that are attached to the filler neck. (Try Some WD40 to get these tubes off)

5) Follow the filler neck under the car. Just as you see the neck disappear from view and go towards the tank you'll see the clamp connector to the tank. Use a screw driver and pb-blast to gently pry the tank connector off the pipe all around... then started twisting the pipe back and forth while pulling back until the pipe is free of the connector.

INSTALL NEW FILLER NECK

1) Rotated the pipe in and around everything

2) Slip the pipe into the connector

3) Attach the hoses near the filler hole

4) Reinstall the 3 screws around the gas cap with the cap "leash", but leave cap off for now.

5) Tighten the clamp on the pipe to tank connector

6) Put the plastic cover

7) Replace the gas cap

8) put the wheel back on

Have a beer!

I would highly recommend removing the little plastic sleeve that covers the filler neck. Debris and crap can sit in between it and the filler neck causing it to rot. My filler neck was leaking through 3 small pin holes when i got my car, luckily i could take mine off easily and patch it with some liquid metal stuff. Then made sure i sanded the filler neck to bare metal to check for more pinholes, and give it a good coating of rust check paint. Then finally a good coat of thick grease after reinstall.

• 5 months later...

Archived