LegacyGT.com

Need info quick! Any help is greatly appreciated!

liljay794

I just half-way sold my car to a buyer in PA. I live in NJ and he believes that we need to meet at a PA DMV to transfer ownership. Now my question is... is that true? Can I sign the title to him (in NJ), and he drive off with my insurance, registration and plates and a couple hours later, cancel the insurance and then when he gets the chance, mail me back the registration card and plates? Reason being, I shot my knee and can't drive manual and don't trust anyone else to. I have firefighter license plates and I plan on transferring them to another car so I will not be surrendering them to NJ.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks

I would say check the NJ DMV website for transfer of ownership responsibilities. If it's anything like Utah, we are required to remove our plates when we sell a vehicle and the purchaser has to carry the bill of sale with them until they go to the DMV themselves to register the vehicle.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the info, but I already checked the NJ DMV site and it doesn't clearly state much. I hate how every state is different with their laws. My father transferred ownership to a guy in Minnesota and all he did was come to NJ, gave my dad the check and drove off and eventually mailed the plates back with no problems. I don't know how PA works so I was hoping someone from PA would know the answer.

Thank you for your response though!

I wouldnt leave my plates and insurance active on a car i was selling. This summer I sold my truck to a guy in CT and a few weeks later bought my car in CT. I live in NY.

When i sold my car, i cancelled insurance for that day or the day after, took my registration and took my plates. The buyer used other plates to get it home (illegal but it worked). He then registered and insured on his own in CT.

I bought my car from a CT "dealer". Not a subie dealer, rather a sketchy russian guy who bought it at an auction and had a half ass garage which seemed more like a chop shop. I put plates from another car on it, activated insurance for it (even tho i didnt technically own it- i dont believe you have to to insure it) and drove it home unregistered. We filled out paper work (Title, Bill of sale, dealer invoice, and my necessary NY registration forms) i paid him and i drove home. The next day i registered it at home.

For you, the convenience of selling a car is that registering is all on the buyer. I know my methods arent for everyone, but you may want to suggest this to him.

1) put insurance on the car. Even tho its not his oficially, he should be able to register it with a VIN and his personal info.

2) can get 24 hr plates for a few bucks from the DMV, so that he can legally transfer the vehicle. then he can register it and put permanent plates on his own time.

3) just do all the necessary paperwork which should just be title transfer and his PA registration forms and possibly a bill of sale (as its a private sale- no need for dealer invoice) and he should be good to go.

I really believe that you traveling to PA isnt necessary. And for the record, he should be able to register under his name first....jsut sign the title over to him (granted he pays you) then he can get plates and his insurance....get a ride to meet you, and drive home in his registered/insured car.

All you need to do is sign the title over to him to sell the car. No appearance at the DMV is necessary.

He might want to go to the DMV with you if the car has a lien on it, so he can see the lien removed and that PA recognizes that the car no longer has a lien on it from a loan. A more typical way to take care of a lien is for the buyer and seller to go to the offices of the finance company which is holding the lien on the car, and to have the buyer pay off the loan in cash, so there is no question that the loan has been paid off. If the loan is through a bank, they should be able to produce the lien release paperwork on the spot.

You should not leave the plates on the car and let him drive it away. Every state sells temporary plates for use in transporting/driving newly purchased cars. The buyer should be able to get them from his state, or your state. Which state he gets them from depends on whether he is getting title before picking the vehicle up, or when he picks the vehicle up. If he gets title before he picks the vehicle up, he can register and license the car in his state to get plates which he can bring with him. If he is going to get title when he picks the car up, he should get a temporary plate from your state. Some states sell these online and you should be able to buy him one if he can't get one online. He should expect to pay something under $20 for the temp plate.

my "transportation" plate was 8 bucks, and the above poster is right on. Take you plates and cancel insurance, he can easily insure himself and get a temp plate. Have him come to you if he wants to buy the car, he'll understand your situation.

Archived