LegacyGT.com

Can you add a Turbo to a Stock 2.2L 97 legacy engine?

i have a 91 legacy with a STOCK 97 outback phase 2 (EJ222) (142bhp) 2.2L SOHC engine swap (weak I know) and i was wondering if i could install a turbo. what turbo can i install..i'm guessing a stock legacy turbo VF11 and what other stock parts like injectors, fuel pump, radiator ect. HAD to be replaced to handle the turbo? and whats the max psi the stock engine can handle thanks much. oh ya i believe the compression ratio is 9:7:1 and I plan on only low boost application like 8-10 psi anyways. thanks much,Blaze:rolleyes:

SUBI-POW!

• 2 weeks later...
I would think it would be ok. When I had my gsr 11:1, I was told it was ok to run 12lbs daily. You can have higher compression, and run a turbo, but you need to keep the temps down to not detonate. But honestly in your case, you would be better off swapping a 2.0l wrx motor in there

i think i'll save for the swap. but should i go for the wrx 2.0l or the twin turbo? maybe i'll just save up and find a turbo legacy and upgrade it a lil since it will have the turbo engine and tranny, but i would get more horse with a swap. but then i need a turbo tranny and clutch kit.hmm

• 4 weeks later...

I turboed the stock EJ22 in my '97 outback sport SOHC (single port head). Ran 8psi summer, 7psi winter for 3 years, ~60k miles until a month ago when I got T-boned. Car still has great compression and leakdown numbers, 164xxx miles. Such a good daily driver...sigh.

I decided to make it quickly & on the cheap using scrap I had lying around. I used the stock "header", made an up pipe from there to a used Garrett GT2560R and downpipe to mate to the factory catback, which I quickly replaced with a Greddy EVO2 catback. Got a used WRX intercooler from nasioc, emanage blue for spark and some fuel trims, Vortec FMU for fuel. Original pump & injectors. It worked great IMHO, easily overwhelmed the open diffs and cheap tires I put on the thing. I guess I'm selling the entire setup, once I hear back from the insurance company :(

I know. the 2.2 Turbo had a super dank engine. problem is it only runs 163hp stock and the 2.0 Turbo runs 227hp @ 4000rpm stock or I could get the DOHC 2.2 T that pushes 276bhp @ 6000rpm 268 ft lbs @ 3200rpm. problem is the DOHC is Interface. which means if my timing belt blows. so does my engine basically. but now that i'm reading up. i have a 1997 outback EJ222 142bhp and Wikipedia says that ALL DOHC & 1997 EJ engines and up are Interface!! is this true??! I gotta watch out on mine if so. help please. I'm really thinking about getting a DOHC EJ257 300hp. If I go DOHC.

Archived