LegacyGT.com

Engline Blew.. Quick Question

david1982

Hello,

The EJ25D in my 1999 Subaru Legacy GT 5 speed spin a berring and messed up the crank. I have a chance to buy a used engine for 250 dollars but I have a quick question, hopeing someone can clear this up for me.

Will an EJ25D from an Automatic Subaru Outback, fit with any issues in my 1999 Subaru Legacy with 5 speed ? The local Subaru dealership is telling us we have to find an engine from a manual car as one from an automatic will not fit... is that true ? I did do a search on this and other forums but I have read conflicting statements.. anyone have any advice ?

Appreciate it, thanks

I don't see how it would matter what the transmission is. They are the same engines, regardless of the drivetrain.

All EJ series engines will bolt up to any EJ series transmission, auto or manual.

+1

The local Subaru dealership is full of it. The only difference in transmissions would be the ECU setups between the manual and automatic. If the transmission is staying the same in the car, any EJ series engine will bolt up and run without any modifications whatsoever.

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Thanks a lot for the awsners.

The 1999 Outback Engine from the automatic bolted up with a few issues.. one was the starter was a bit different, but nothing that could not be overcome.

The new engine is throwing P1507 code, and thanks to this Forum I am in the process of going through that troubleshooting of cleaning the IAC (Going to clean my original IAC and put that in, since it seems to have been working in my old engine)

again thanks,

Archived