LegacyGT.com

1994 Legacy: Trunk won't stay closed

Hello, I'm new to the forum, so please forgive me if my question has been asked before.

About two days ago the trunk latch on my 1994 legacy stopped working. At first, i just had to fiddle with the latch and it would eventually click into place when closed. That worked about three times and now it won't close at all. My boyfriend has done a lot of work on his car and offered to help. We were just wondering if anyone out there has had a similar problem — is it the latch itself? The movement on it doesn't seem too impeded and I can't see any broken springs.

Thank you very much

It won't stay closed, meaning it won't latch when it is in the shut position? The springs in the handle on the tailgate have rusted out, and it prevents the mechanism inside from either opening or closing properly. Fortunately, it's a rather cheap and simple fix.

If you remove the interior panel from the hatch, you will see two bolts holding in the handle. Just unhook the metal rod and the bolts, and replace with a new handle. That should solve your problem.

Use this part number for a new one. 62150AA211 Good luck!

Archived