LegacyGT.com

2005 LGT EJ257 Hybrid

• Mega Users
Someone please encourage this guy to get the exact same but magically indesctructible STi block. It will make his wildest dreams come true. I mean, we all know you can run 100 psi on it. It does need straight pipes though, and some ground fx, and the biggest wing possible.......

My Spec B has an Sti motor in it. Not an STI motor but an STi motor. I know because a normal LGT has an Ej255 but the Spec B, B being the 2nd letter in the alphabet makes EJ255+2 which is an EJ257.

Nuff said. I win. (even if i'm too late)

• 4 months later...

lol this thread is hysterical.

does the 07 spec b have the wrx ej255? that sucks finally get the sti tranny and they steal her short block from you!

i honestly think most of the reliability problems from the legacy gts have to do with crappy injectors i've seen a few of them flow either way low or way high which i think would cause det. issues.

an 05-06 LGT uses an EJ255, versus an EJ257 out of an STi. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1667168

The average 05 LGT will make it 80 to 100k miles before needing a motor rebuild and potentially a new turbo. The strengthened internals of the EJ257 make it a much better build canidate. Just wanted the particulars of taking the components I need off my 255 and making a 255/257 hybrid

omg, my motor has 75k, its going to blow soon, does anyone has a stock motor for sale? or turbo? PLEASE!!! :spin:

PS I replaced my blinker fluid reservoir, it was easy. Only took me a left handed monkey wrench, flux capicator and a beer. I was worried when I had a muffler bearing left over. I'm new to the subie thing so thanks for the warm welcome

You didn't need a pipe stretcher while you were in there?:lol:

an 05-06 LGT uses an EJ255, versus an EJ257 out of an STi. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1667168

The average 05 LGT will make it 80 to 100k miles before needing a motor rebuild and potentially a new turbo. The strengthened internals of the EJ257 make it a much better build canidate. Just wanted the particulars of taking the components I need off my 255 and making a 255/257 hybrid

:spin:

I would start with reinforcing your comprehension and research skills.

:spin:

I would start with reinforcing your comprehension and research skills.

I still want to know what a "canidate" is?!?! I know he means candidate.

Don't all browsers incorporate some form of spell check now anyway? A squiggly red line under a word is pretty hard to miss.

Congratulations, have a good laugh at my expense. I made a silly post before I was fully informed. I have since sold the LGT and gone back to my roots and to something with more potential. I'm now running an 06 GTi

Let the hating begin...

Congratulations, have a good laugh at my expense. I made a silly post before I was fully informed. I have since sold the LGT and gone back to my roots and to something with more potential. I'm now running an 06 GTi

Let the hating begin...

Hating? HATING?! I'm loving that your plan. I miss my 2006 GTI! It was my little jellybean. Stage 2 with some additional modifications on it. ATP catless downpipe and a GHL catback made that thing ferocious sounding! In case you can't tell, I'm a little bit of a VW/Audi fanboy, but I'm sure my avatar gave that away. Have fun with that 2.0T mill, it's a jewel of a powerplant.

Let the hating begin...

Good move actually, congrats.

Gti's are nice but have the standard vw issues Coil packs and mafs that go out like clock work... My vw buddies keep coil packs and a maf in the trunk of their mkiv mkv jettas course they're both running 26 psi.

Gti's are nice but have the standard vw issues Coil packs and mafs that go out like clock work... My vw buddies keep coil packs and a maf in the trunk of their mkiv mkv jettas course they're both running 26 psi.

I doubt seriously that the MKV will have coilpack issues. The MKIV had super junky coil packs along with a laundry list's worth of other super junky parts. The MKV i believe uses the bulletproof Hitachis or the like for coilpacks. MKV is a good car. With a reflash, they can be quite fun cars indeed.

Oh, and 26psi on a dub is nothing considering it is just a little K03. 26psi on a GT series turbo on the other hand will definitely blow the push down coilpacks right into the underside of your hood. LOL.

I doubt seriously that the MKV will have coilpack issues. The MKIV had super junky coil packs along with a laundry list's worth of other super junky parts. The MKV i believe uses the bulletproof Hitachis or the like for coilpacks. MKV is a good car. With a reflash, they can be quite fun cars indeed.

Oh, and 26psi on a dub is nothing considering it is just a little K03. 26psi on a GT series turbo on the other hand will definitely blow the push down coilpacks right into the underside of your hood. LOL.

We saw some issues with MKV coilpacks, so don't dismiss them that quickly. I was running about 24psi on mine.

It seems manufacturing facilities have a play in reliability. The VWs built in Wolfsburg tend to hold up better than the ones built in Mexico. I had a MKV GTI (built in Wolfsburg, but GLIs are built in Mexico) with 65,000miles on it when I sold it. The guy who owns it now has over 100,000 miles and it's still running well. Mind you these are aggressive Stage2+ miles.

The one thing I don't miss is FWD, but VW has fixed that with a confirmation of the GTI-R hitting US shores! You guys can knock on Haldex, because I don't like Haldex either, but the new system in the GTI-R uses modified clutch packs capable of sending 85% of torque to the rear and biasing more torque to the rear for a sportier feel.

The coilpacks have proven to be a problem, received a letter from VW stating it was a known issue and that i could bring in my GTI to have them changed for free. It's a hell of a car to build, can't believe the huge power games from simple things. I did a neuspeed intake, forge diverter valve, megan cat-back and a stage 1 APR tune and I'm sitting at 265HP already, thats only at 16psi! I definitely miss the AWD but the gas mileage is so much better. All in all a great little car but doesn't have the class the LGT had...

• 4 weeks later...
lol this thread is hysterical.

does the 07 spec b have the wrx ej255? that sucks finally get the sti tranny and they steal her short block from you!

i honestly think most of the reliability problems from the legacy gts have to do with crappy injectors i've seen a few of them flow either way low or way high which i think would cause det. issues.

The LGT's have the same injectors as the STi as well.

My limited knowledge of the VW/Audi 2.0T is that the cams wear like a S.O.B. - 15K on a K04ish set-up was enough to chew up cams up on 2-3 MkVs and B7s I saw come through the shop. I believe there may have even been a recall.

I like the MkV chassis, but I'm a whore for AWD. LGT ftw.

Archived