LegacyGT.com

noob tire questions

gurpman

I've never had a nice enough car nor the budget to consider purchasing good tires. So how does it work? Can I go to any tire shop like Firestone and get them to order specific tires? Or do I need to order them myself from someplace like tirerack.com and bring them to a garage for mounting? Thanks.

It depends on what you want. Generally, Tire Rack will have the best prices, but often, by the time you factor in shipping and mounting, your local place might be competitive. And if it comes down to $10 or so difference, always patronize your local tire shop. Research is the key to deciding what tire you want. For instance, I love the Dunlop SP9000. Why? It is about 9/10ths of a no-holds-barred performance tire like the Bridgestone SO-3, is great in the rain, is very quiet, and has very good tread life for a max performance tire. You'll get something like 30K miles from a set. In other words, it's a grownup performance tire. So the first step is to decide what you want in a tire: dry or rain performance, a balance, all-season excellence (no such thing), etc. Then shop around. It's pretty easy once you know what you want. And when somebody gives you a recommendation, be sure to ask them how they drive. If someone says "X tire sucks, I only got 15,000 miles out of them," but they drive everywhere as if it were a super special tarmac rally stage, then you have some perspective. Good luck, Kevin

• 1 month later...

Archived