LegacyGT.com

Max HP for 5EAT?

HpJunkie

Hi, I did some searching and cant find what im looking for so Im going to just throw this out there. What is the max HP a 5EAT can take on a "performance daily driver" if you will? I know some guyz have IPT valve bodies and tranny coolers. Im curious to hear some stories of ppl with modded cars on HP numbers and tranny issues or reliability stories, ie. stock vs tranny cooler vs tranny cooler/IPT mod. I already have a cooler and want to get IPT before adding much power, hence the question. Thanx in advance...

EDIT: I know some of you are thinking, go look in 5EAT pride thread, yeah I read the thread...most ppl talk about Stage 1 and 2 and all that, which are loosely thrown around terms IMO. I was just wondering if ppl had actual HP numbers with the mods and stock.

There are dyno runs out there, you just have to look for them ...

What you should look at is torque, not horsepower, since that's what the transmission sees directly. I think most of us at Stage 2 power levels are between 300 and 350 lb-ft at the crankshaft.

There's been numerous similar threads on this btw.

It would be easier for you to tell us what exactly it is you want to do and you'll get feedback that way.

Your right, torque would be more important. Well I have a tranny cooler and am thinkin bout the IPT mod just so I know Ive done all I really could to make a strong tranny. I would love to, in the future that is, go VF52 or HTA, AVO 380 idk that is still way up in the air, but the setup I will go with someday will be dictated by what my tranny can hold and not get destroyed. So all in all im asking about how big can I go stage III and not destroy the tranny. I wish i had a MT but this car was a good deal and I think 5EATs still have alot of potential.

VF52, HTA, AVO380 should be good to go on a 5EAT with an IPT valve body and tranny cooler. More importantly you need to do ATF drain and refills every 15-20K miles since you're putting the transmission through it's paces.

There are several 5EATers pushing big numbers on turbos like you're looking for and their transmissions are holding up. There is no guarantee however, just anecdotal evidence.

Thanks guyz, i guess im just tryin to see how reliable the 5EATs are, and from what Ive read on this site, I think there pretty good. I am going to get the IPT, but as you said linestepper, its all how you drive I guess. If you guyz do come across any dyno charts in your travels, can you post them here. Ive seen some charts already but alot are from MTs. Thanx for the responses I appreciate all insight.

I would go with something like a 20g that was what I wanted to do many moons ago. You wont have all that low end torque that will kill the tranny and you will have more top end but not enough to melt the converter. Thats just my personal opinion!

^^^ Those other turbos will kick in at a lower rpm than a 20g, but it turns out that the dozen guys with those turbos and IPT VB trans cooler 5eats have been fine. I have only heard a few unsubstantiated rumors of people destroying the 5eat torque converter with something that really kicks balls, like a GT3076, but I believe now those are mostly from 22-year-old drivers beating senselessly on a 4eat.

At the end of the day, the fact is this: a statistically insignificant number of cars/drivers have shown the 5eat to be good up to 400whp/wtq if treated with the right amount of "sensitivity"

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

you can just go rwd and put a th-400 or 350 I forgot who put that in but it was someone in a yellow bugeye with a 2.5 turbo and you can call easystreet because they are using some 4eat....

They make the Nissan 350Z/370Z for that. But dang, I thought I knew nothing about cars and engines and modifying until I jumped on those Nissan Z forums. At lease doing it with a Subi will attract people who might know what they're talking about.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Why are the Z threads that bad, they dont know anything? Yeah I think this forum has a good showing of knowledgeable people with good advice. When you look at the legacy pic threads on here, they are tastefully done and tuned nicely. Honda and other forums are nuts, gotta bring soy sauce for all the rice.

Why are the Z threads that bad, they dont know anything? Yeah I think this forum has a good showing of knowledgeable people with good advice. When you look at the legacy pic threads on here, they are tastefully done and tuned nicely. Honda and other forums are nuts, gotta bring soy sauce for all the rice.

I don't know that much. So when I know more than the large majority of guys with the higher post counts, it's not a good sign :lol:

I have never seen such a mass of people pay so much for turbo kits, and ask so few question (hp, nothing else matters). I haven't looked very far either across the car world, but the kit manufacturers are getting away with absolute murder over there.

Oh yeah they def. are. Kits are going for thousands of dollars over what they should be imo. And, i honestly think most people think you can just throw a turbo on an NA car and do minor mods and push 20lbs, timing, compression whats that? haha. I just wana be there when they start those motors and push that boost. Boom!, but the wing will still add downforce, even without a turbo.

Oh yeah they def. are. Kits are going for thousands of dollars over what they should be imo. And, i honestly think most people think you can just throw a turbo on an NA car and do minor mods and push 20lbs, timing, compression whats that? haha. I just wana be there when they start those motors and push that boost. Boom!, but the wing will still add downforce, even without a turbo.

I see a TT kit go for around $7000-$8000 for the Z. It's more parts than a STI turbo kit, but Perrin will sell one for what, $3000-$4000 for everything for the STi? That's also at a high markup. But what gets me is people aren't talking about boost threshold, cfm, compressor efficiency, just a lot of rwhp numbers. It's like reaching into a bag and getting a big surprise. I really like knowing exactly what my engine will do with x setup so I can buy accordingly. Then I can piece the entire thing together from the member classifieds of this forum and NASIOC, and have that involvement. I think it would be more work to get to that point with a Z. Not to say the info isn't out there. I just had a very hard time finding any good information.

IMO, there is also a certain pride of buying all the parts to upgrade you car and knowing about each part, how it works, how to install it. Then doing all the work and getting the enjoyment of knowing through all your research and hard work...the setup works. Plus as you said, getting the community involved, for example underdogs engine rebuild which has started a pretty big thread. He didnt just go out and buy 12 grand worth of stuff, slap it together and tell everyone about the mega powwa hes getting. To pay 7 grand for a turbo kit and no nothing about it is beyond me, people never fail to suprise. I dont know that much either, but I ask questions, that is how over time knowledge is gained.

I wasn't talking about 350z. I was talking about my 300tt Z still in work but it will be done someday part's for that car are very expensive and yea it did come twinturbo...And I will have a upgraded auto you now so I can still be comfe to drive. But hey why don't you go check out supraforums and check out sound and performace they have a few 350z that are reasonable built motor with 67mm twin turbo's and a stock 6 sp.and rear and axle shaft at that with some kinda of twin or triple disc clutch...:)

I wasn't talking about 350z. I was talking about my 300tt Z still in work but it will be done someday part's for that car are very expensive and yea it did come twinturbo...And I will have a upgraded auto you now so I can still be comfe to drive. But hey why don't you go check out supraforums and check out sound and performace they have a few 350z that are reasonable built motor with 67mm twin turbo's and a stock 6 sp.and rear and axle shaft at that with some kinda of twin or triple disc clutch...:)

I wasn't talking about the 300ZX TT or the Supra (which should be converted to single turbo if it isn't already). Awesome cars IMO. In San Francisco when I was just a youngster, the 300 owned all (cause for some reason there weren't too many supras running around). Those cars are in a completely different realm than the 350/370Z. BTW I almost bought a 300, because it is the most underestimated build car out there for what I wanted; a drifter with obnoxious power. But then I started a company and now have no life and my Subi doesn't even run at the moment :mad::lol::spin:

Can you post a link to your 300 when it's done? Very badass car. I think the statement of that car is "I'm not trying, but I will kill you"

Archived